Overtightening wood screws... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Overtightening wood screws...

I'm new to doing my own guitar set-up, so of course I have tons of questions.

One that's been bothering me is how much to torque wood screws (neck screws, trem plate screws, pickguard screws, and nut screws on the new nuts that screw right into the neck). I have a habit of stripping wood screw holes, so I've been very careful about this on my brand new RG2570, but I'm not quite sure how tight (or loose) everything should be. What I do is tighten until snug, then give an extra 1/8 or 1/4 turn.

What are the signs that your screws are too tight/loose? What are the long term consequences?

Any interesting horror stories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Vendor

Re: Overtightening wood screws...

Torque is pretty hard to translatie into written word. Some screws are critical to have tight [neck screws, nut screws], some that aren't critical but you still want snug to tight [tuners ferules], and some don't matter at all [any cover/pickguard screws]. Tight is tight enough to hold the piece in place, overtight risks stripping or in the case of nuts cracking the neck. You know when something is about to strip, where it should be feeling tight all of a sudden it doesn't feel like it's getting tighter, or turning to far at the same tension. Just use common sense and you should be fine.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 04:23 AM

Re: Overtightening wood screws...

Using the correct size of screwdriver minimises the risk of stripping the head too.

Tags
neck screws , pickguard screws , trem plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode