A paint chip fell off my guitar - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
jpi

A paint chip fell off my guitar

Few days ago I noticed that there's a tiny paint chip (about 1mm*2mm) missing from RG570. I thought this was strange because my guitar is only about 5 months old. First I thought that my belt has been scratching it and that it's just a scratch, but then I looked closer that the paint chip had come off "clean". I mean that the surface was not scratched, but the whole laquer and paint had come off and there was nothing above the wood.

Another funny thing was that the place where the pint had came off was not even close to my belt or anything else. I attached a pic that you can see where it is. It's right on the edge.

I believe that it's highly likely that the scratch will start growing larger, so how should I cover it? Or should I take it back to the store and let them deal with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Vendor

Dude, you bumped it on something and it chipped. It's called charachter, give it some more

Chips don't "spread".
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
jpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Chips don't "spread".
This one looks like it just might start spreading...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 04:14 PM

Looks like, but probably wont . I did the same thing with my 520, still dont have a clue how it got the two chips it has.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 08:05 PM

Superglue.

Mask off the area as best you can with masking tape then put a very small dab of superglue on it. Let it dry for a couple of hours, and for heavens sake don't touch it to see if it's dry with your finger. Use a pin or something and very gently touch it.

WARNING - Superglue is incredibly easy to put in places you don't want it. Use it at your own risk.

Tony
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
jpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6828
Superglue.

Mask off the area as best you can with masking tape then put a very small dab of superglue on it. Let it dry for a couple of hours, and for heavens sake don't touch it to see if it's dry with your finger. Use a pin or something and very gently touch it.

WARNING - Superglue is incredibly easy to put in places you don't want it. Use it at your own risk.

Tony
Yeah I heard that might work. But first I'll see what they say in the store.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 10:59 AM

I agree with Rich - leave it there to give it character. Also, leave it out of its case and jump around to give it even more character.

Evo looks fantastic because of all the 'love', probably feels the same way - full of history. White guitars are the best (have to get a pwh someday).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 05:02 PM

Reviews: 1
I had a 570 in a cnady apple red finish and one chip led to me finally stripping the whole guitar. Some of the paints seem to be prone to flaking once they are chipped. I would try the superglue trick if the store doesn't help you out. Otherwise, plan on the paint chipping away as you use and abuse it.

Bamm
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 05:23 PM
EKG

I did the same thing to my RG3120 and now look!

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...amp;highlight=

I say leave it, but if it is that much of a concern, the Super Glue Trick works...take our word for it. ;-)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
jpi

Not bad, but my 570 doesn't have a maple top... :P

And on the other hand I like 3120TW as it is and I might even buy one some day...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode