Paint Supplies - Car Paint?- Wich to use - SPANISH NAMES - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Paint Supplies - Car Paint?- Wich to use - SPANISH NAMES

Hi, i`m refinishing a RG270 ive got for an exchange, but i still have a lot of questions on wich materials to use on the finish. I`ve seen the materials on stew mac and all the sites, but i live in VENEZUELA and donīt really know how are they called in spanish.

I can find the lacquer (any lacquer would be right?? or there is a specific one??) but the pigments, what kind of pigments... it can work with car type paint??? wich other uses are for this pigments... i mean there are no guitar finishing stores in VENEZUELA but i can find other stores (like car paint stores) and find related items... wich can work???

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:41 PM

Re: Paint Supplies - Car Paint?- Wich to use - SPANISH NAMES

car paint will work ... just don't go mixing brands ... stick with one brand of paint through out your project.

Krylon, Dulpicolor, etc.

Most of these paints are lacquer based paints ... the secret to a good finish is allowing the paint to fully cure
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:36 PM

dude, i was about to ask the sam question
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

how long does it takes to be fully cured??? i mean... between each coat??? or at the end??? (especially on the clear coat)

thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlander
how long does it takes to be fully cured??? i mean... between each coat??? or at the end??? (especially on the clear coat)

thanks
Most bodyshop dudes will tell you not to touch finished topcoat for at least 2 weeks, although the old school guys will say up to 6 weeks. Its very easy to get a nice hard top layer but to still have some softness underneath......I've found this out and have some lovely subtle indentations on my restored MIJ Tele

Sean

Last edited by Fosse Fox; 03-05-2006 at 07:40 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:13 PM

if you find comex, thats good.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 AM

Reviews: 34

Car paints and lacquers are good.

Just don't rush. Patience is absolutely necessary. Spray lightly, do not be tempted to do anything too heavily immediately.

I am sure that www.projectguitar.com has some foolproof tutorials.

Tags
clear coat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode