parker-style fretboard - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

parker-style fretboard

Does you guys know if anyone can make a carbon glass epoxy fretboard for an Ibanez 7620 neck style?

I had a go on my mate's Parker Fly Mojo and it plays like a dream. I was wondering if there's some way I could replicate that feel on my somewhat worn out 7620.

I was thinking of maybe just getting a new neck for my guitar as an easy option. Then again, I also read on the Extended Range forum that I might be better off just getting all my frets replaced as the new neck is not tensioned or somesuch and will take ages to sort itself out.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 03:51 PM

It's not the composite fretboard that makes Parker necks so incredible to play on, it's the stainless steel frets.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
It's not the composite fretboard that makes Parker necks so incredible to play on, it's the stainless steel frets.
And a conical (compound) radius. The Carvin bolt on necks can be ordered with Steel frets and are also compound radius...
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:53 PM

how do they balance the steel frets? I remember reading on here that stainless frets make it sound way brighter because of it's hardness. If it's supposed to sound so bright and harsh....this guitar has a freakin TINY and thin body why does this guitar not sound thin?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 1
It DOES sound thin !
I just sent the one I bought from JEremy back to him in trade for some other goodies due to that very fact.
I could never get a heavy enough sound out of that guitar.
Great for lead work, and some acoustic stuff, but I prefer a more solid body guitar. There is something to be said for the physical bone conduction of a solid wood guitar vs the lightweight almost non-existant feel of the Fly. I LOVE the way the fly played, but it just never had the all around tone I wanted.

Bamm
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Possibly. I just remember it was very low resistance. There was next to no friction when I played on it. What are Ibanez frets made of? Nickel?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
It DOES sound thin !
I just sent the one I bought from JEremy back to him in trade for some other goodies due to that very fact.
Maybe you should try a NiteFly? My NiteFly sounds heavy enough w/ the humbucker, and even the single coils sound far from thin.

-Ben
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
It DOES sound thin !
That's why my mate got a Fly Mojo. Apparently it's got a bit more beef to it. I couldn't really tell. I'll let you know when i've heard it properly cranked up. I find all 6 strings seem a bit weak these days, which is annoying as i used to love my RG620.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 02:35 AM

I've been considering the possibility of stainless steel frets on my jem. What do you guys think of these frets and do you think it'll work well on a Jem7FP? I heard that they last forever...

Tags
carvin bolt , darren wilson , parker fly , stainless frets , stainless steel frets , steel frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode