Parting out - what to do with neck plate? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Parting out - what to do with neck plate?

When parting out a guitar with a neck plate, is it more appropriate to:
  • Keep the neck plate and screws with the neck
  • Keep the neck plate and screws with the body
  • It depends on the guitar or condition
  • Doesn't matter, just part it out separately
Maybe I'm over thinking it, but curious to hear your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:40 AM

Re: Parting out - what to do with neck plate?

I would keep the screws with the neck since the screws would/should fit the holes in the neck the best. The plate I would keep with the body since it usually pertains to the body design more than the neck - but this is just my opinion! For instance your unlikely to see a Jem plate on a 770 body or indeed Vaice-versa. Heh-heh!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:49 AM

Reviews: 25

If your parting out the guitar, then you seperate everything... Otherwise you end up loosing $$ on a sale if you include the screws and neckplate. You can get more for the individual sales, its just more work for you.

I dont suppose its a Jem neckplate, iv been searching for one for ages...?? :P
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodVaibes View Post
I would keep the screws with the neck since the screws would/should fit the holes in the neck the best. The plate I would keep with the body since it usually pertains to the body design more than the neck - but this is just my opinion! For instance your unlikely to see a Jem plate on a 770 body or indeed Vaice-versa. Heh-heh!
Both great points. But on the other hand, shouldn't the neck plate and matching screws stay together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
If your parting out the guitar, then you seperate everything... Otherwise you end up loosing $$ on a sale if you include the screws and neckplate. You can get more for the individual sales, its just more work for you.

I dont suppose its a Jem neckplate, iv been searching for one for ages...?? :P
Also a great point, although I'm kind of trying to think of it from the ethical standpoint of where does the neck plate truly "belong". But I suppose if I offer the body, neck, and plate/screws all at the same time, someone might want the body and someone else want the neck, and they can fight over the plate/screws. Then the ethics work themselves out AND I maximize profit...

And no it's not a JEM plate, sorry
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 AM

hmmm an ethical standpoint you say.. what kind of ethics do you need for this topic... Part it all out and sell. There is no way anyone can argue that the neck plate belongs more to the body then it does to the neck. The guitar requires all the parts to work and without just one it wont play.. So really there is not ethical side to choose.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:20 AM

depends on what brand it is. I sold my Charvel neck plate for big bucks on teh' bay.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
hmmm an ethical standpoint you say.. what kind of ethics do you need for this topic... Part it all out and sell. There is no way anyone can argue that the neck plate belongs more to the body then it does to the neck. The guitar requires all the parts to work and without just one it wont play.. So really there is not ethical side to choose.
Well I guess I was thinking, if the body is "totaled" or just complete crap, it would make sense to keep the neck plate and screws with the neck, and vice versa. But like GoodVaibes (who's 'misspelled' username I somehow didn't get until just now... lol, clever) said, the screws that are originally in the neck are going to fit the neck best.

The concept applies to other parts of the guitar too... like pickup screws/springs, should they stay with the pickups or stay with the pick guard/pickup rings? It would be ridiculous to part out the springs and screws separately. Or parting out a guitar with rare original string trees but non-original tuners, string trees stay with the neck or separate for someone who desperately needs those string trees?

The ethics come in to play because it seems sacrilegious to part out rare guitars. But on the other hand, if the guitar is broken anyway and you help 5 different people restore their rare guitars that were just missing a part or two... see what I'm getting at?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:17 PM

No i dont see what your getting at.. its a guitar not a person. the fairest way to deal with it if you want to be ethical about it, is to separate every part, that makes the most sense, and I have never bought a neck and had it come with a neckplate or screws. 99% of necks for sale come naked
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
No i dont see what your getting at.. its a guitar not a person.
So if I part out one of my JEM 10ths to make money, you think nobody would have a problem with that? Just because something is an object doesn't mean ethics aren't involved. Especially when it comes to art or an object that people are passionate about...
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:32 PM

I'll buy the neck

Dibs!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
No i dont see what your getting at.. its a guitar not a person. the fairest way to deal with it if you want to be ethical about it, is to separate every part, that makes the most sense, and I have never bought a neck and had it come with a neckplate or screws. 99% of necks for sale come naked
THIS★^^^★

You're "parting" it out--so keep parts separate.

's also like the tuning pegs. Do you plan to keep those with the neck, too? No--sell them separately.

You'd be surprised at how many people look for neck plates.
Maybe someone is assembling a project guitar. Maybe someone needs to replace a corroded plate.

Just sell everything separate. There are no ethics involved here. If you list the items--just list them as what they are. For the neck--just state "bare neck. What you see is what you get. Please see my other listings for more parts "
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:12 PM

I absolutely need a neck plate right now, but I don't want to pay the ridiculous amounts that they seem to be listed for on Evilbay (they aren't selling for those prices either).

Hit me up if you want to sell the neck plate with screws, and the tuners right now
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:24 PM

Reviews: 2

apparently van and I are the only ones from the same cloth. I absolutely think that, if the plate has a serial#, that it should stay with the neck. Especially because there would then be an unnumbered neck out there. This does make the neck worth a good bit more money though............. don't give it away just for ethics. Get what the whole package is worth.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
apparently van and I are the only ones from the same cloth. I absolutely think that, if the plate has a serial#, that it should stay with the neck. Especially because there would then be an unnumbered neck out there. This does make the neck worth a good bit more money though............. don't give it away just for ethics. Get what the whole package is worth.
Oh yeah I agree with that also... If it has a serial it should probably stay with the neck, but if it doesn't it should be sold to me
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I hadn't considered that--I'm used to seeing the serial on the back of the headstock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode