PBK fret buzz - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

PBK fret buzz

Hello!

decided to put up a question I have been battling for some time now. About a year ago I bought a PBK from a friend of mine. The thing was in pretty bad shape when I got it. Trem al the way back, intonation not set, tuners not screwed in all the way, locking nut was loose, rusty trem, etc.etc.etc.

I gave it a good setup and fixed most of the flaws it had. However, it still sounds a bit "dead" acoustically. It seems to be a fret buzz problem. The buzz is most apparent from frets 12 and up. On some strings and frets a note that rings out turns into a harmonic. obviously pinging off some or one fret.

I tried raising the action ( getting the trem up ). This didn't solve the problem even when the action at the 24th fret was up to 6 mm. The neck has a visible frontbow ( relief ). There are no shims under the nut and fretting the first couple of frets sounds good.

How can I get rid of the "boingy", dead sound and fret buzz in the higer registers ?

Thanks in advance !

EL-CeeDee

edit: Forgot to mention it has visible fretwear..

Last edited by EL-CeeDee; 02-11-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Re: PBK fret buzz

Nobody ? Don't make me suffer for another year

No reasonable techs in the neighbourhood.

Tags
fret buzz , locking nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode