Picking up the slack... - ...on that low string - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Picking up the slack... - ...on that low string

Recently I've been wanting a 7 string for the increased range but I can't stand how flimsy that low B string is. *I haven't played an XL and I would have to try one out before buying one but I'm not too fond of the idea anyway.

So, I've thought about tuning the guitar up a step or something but I'm afraid the higher strings would break too quickly. *I seem to be breaking strings in less than a week since I moved to St. Louis. *I recall reading somewhere that Vai was trying to do a 7 with an added high string but it just kept breaking.

Is there any other way that I could possibly tighten up the slack on that low B? *I knew a guy who used a bass string but he had a fixed bridge. *It was a Conklin or something. *I would probably get a 1990 Universe if I bought a 7 string because I want an original Edge.

I'm open to any ideas no matter how crazy they might sound *This all really serves no purpose because I don't have any money with which to buy a 7 string but, ya know...

Thanx, Rich aka Shred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 12:19 AM
Vendor

Picking up the slack...

Why not just increase the guage of the low B string??
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Picking up the slack...

Well, yeah, that was the idea behind mentioning the guy who was using the bass string. *I just didn't know if that would be feasible on, say, a 1990 UV7BK because of the trem saddle and the nut. *Would I have to alter either for the string to fit?

I suppose I should've actually said that in the original post instead of just thinking it

Ohh yeah, another thing. *I only play pure nickel strings. *Does anyone make a pure nickel string in such a gauge?

Thanx, Rich
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 12:43 AM
Vendor

Picking up the slack...

How tight do you want it?! You can go up to a .60 (maybe a hair more, I don't try these thing) and that would about be equivalent to what you'd use with a set of .11's, if that's not tight enough for you I don't have any other advice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 12:46 AM
Vendor

Picking up the slack...

BTW I couldn't even find a nickel .56 last time I changed gauges for a buyer that would only touch nickel (2 local stores). I'm sure somebody makes one, online I'm sure they could be bought.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Picking up the slack...

You can get a pure nickel .56 from this URL in case that guy is curious.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/stringit...purnicwou.html

I found this company Pyramid Strings that makes pure nickel 7 string sets but I'm not too excited about paying $28 for a set. *Not to mention that they aren't the guage I want.

http://www.pyramidstrings.com/st-guitar.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 04:51 AM

Picking up the slack...

I got a .060" for my low B. (actually low A, my seven string is tuned down a full step).
The six other strings are a set of 10-52.

My Ibanez is equipped with a fixed bridge, and the bass string doesn't cause any problems on the nut or bridge. (don't know how it will react with on tremolo bridge)
The string sits higher in the nut, and together with the extra string tension there's no more buzzing.

Cheers,
Joten

(Edited by GhesQi J at 4:52 am on Mar. 30, 2002)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 01:23 AM

Picking up the slack...

I use either a .058" or .056" tuned in Bb on my RG7620.. Sounds fine, lots of tension, though the .58 is a bit boomy sometimes. I have strange gauges on that guitar, though..

It's like this:
Bb - .056(or .05
Eb - .046
Ab - .036
Db - .026
Gb - .017
Bb - .012
Eb - .009

I don't like 9s or 10s down a half step, so I mixed the two, to come up with this..
:biggrin:

Tags
fixed bridge , higher strings , string tension , tremolo bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode