Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Picking up the slack... - ...on that low string

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  toshiro 
#1 ·
Recently I've been wanting a 7 string for the increased range but I can't stand how flimsy that low B string is.  I haven't played an XL and I would have to try one out before buying one but I'm not too fond of the idea anyway.

So, I've thought about tuning the guitar up a step or something but I'm afraid the higher strings would break too quickly.  I seem to be breaking strings in less than a week since I moved to St. Louis.  I recall reading somewhere that Vai was trying to do a 7 with an added high string but it just kept breaking.

Is there any other way that I could possibly tighten up the slack on that low B?  I knew a guy who used a bass string but he had a fixed bridge.  It was a Conklin or something.  I would probably get a 1990 Universe if I bought a 7 string because I want an original Edge.

I'm open to any ideas no matter how crazy they might sound :)  This all really serves no purpose because I don't have any money with which to buy a 7 string but, ya know...

Thanx, Rich aka Shred

#3 ·
Picking up the slack...

Well, yeah, that was the idea behind mentioning the guy who was using the bass string. I just didn't know if that would be feasible on, say, a 1990 UV7BK because of the trem saddle and the nut. Would I have to alter either for the string to fit?

I suppose I should've actually said that in the original post instead of just thinking it :)

Ohh yeah, another thing. I only play pure nickel strings. Does anyone make a pure nickel string in such a gauge?

Thanx, Rich

#4 ·
Picking up the slack...

How tight do you want it?! ;) You can go up to a .60 (maybe a hair more, I don't try these thing) and that would about be equivalent to what you'd use with a set of .11's, if that's not tight enough for you I don't have any other advice. :)

#6 ·
#7 ·
Picking up the slack...

I got a .060" for my low B. (actually low A, my seven string is tuned down a full step).
The six other strings are a set of 10-52.

My Ibanez is equipped with a fixed bridge, and the bass string doesn't cause any problems on the nut or bridge. (don't know how it will react with on tremolo bridge)
The string sits higher in the nut, and together with the extra string tension there's no more buzzing.

Cheers,
Joten

(Edited by GhesQi J at 4:52 am on Mar. 30, 2002)

#8 ·
Picking up the slack...

I use either a .058" or .056" tuned in Bb on my RG7620.. Sounds fine, lots of tension, though the .58 is a bit boomy sometimes. I have strange gauges on that guitar, though..

It's like this:
Bb - .056(or .058)
Eb - .046
Ab - .036
Db - .026
Gb - .017
Bb - .012
Eb - .009

I don't like 9s or 10s down a half step, so I mixed the two, to come up with this..
:biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.