Pickup (Fred) problem.. - Having trouble with the tapped out - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Pickup (Fred) problem.. - Having trouble with the tapped out

Hey, I have a question:

I'm re-wiring this S-series guitar at work, with a Dimarzio Fred in the neck, stock single-coil, and Dual Sound in the bridge..

Now, the problem is in the split-5 wiring. The neck-tapped + mid position is weak, really weak.. It's like night and day between the single alone, the 'notch', and the neck hum..

Is the Fred just a bad pickup to tap? Or is it something else? The bridge-tapped +mid 'notch' works great, no drop-off in volume..

This is really driving me nuts..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 12:58 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Pickup (Fred) problem..

You have this wired properly right? You can get these symptoms with a crossed wire is the reason I ask. The FRED is not that high an output pickup but should be louder than the middle alone... glen
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Pickup (Fred) problem..

Yup; red to hot on the switch, green + bare to ground, and black + white to the 'tap' spot on the switch..

I've clipped and restripped the wire to make sure it wasn't that, so I'm starting to think it's the actual switch.. The Fred tapped should, technically, sound as loud as(or louder than) my Air Norton tapped, but this one doesn't..

Either way, tomorrow I'm gonna pull the pickup out and test it straight into the amp, if it works like this it has to be the switch... Maybe the tap spot somehow shorted to hot, I don't know...

Just when you think you've seen it all, something like this comes along..
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Pickup (Fred) problem..

Update:

Well, it turned out to be the switch.. Somehow it shorted itself to hot, or something, and wasn't working right... Reversed the phase, maybe..

Oh well, at least it's working, so the ower will be happy..

I get to play switch-skipping with my guitar tomorrow.. Gonna put in a 'Mega-switch' and wire position 2(normally bridge-tapped+mid) into a JPM(bridge+neck tapped).. Hopefully all will go well..

Thanks for the reply Glen..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 12:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Pickup (Fred) problem..

Cool. Everyone should remember to be careful when soldering the switch, because these are VERY easy to burn/short out. We've all done that once or twice Enjoy... glen

Tags
air norton , dual sound , output pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode