pickup help - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

pickup help

I'm a complete n00B in the ways of pickups and guitar modifications, so I need you guys here at jemsite to help me a little.

Recently I decided to buy the parts I need from warmoth.com, so I could assemble the fabled "me" guitar. Now, I've made a parts list of (most) everything I will need, except for the pickups. I have no idea what to do for pickups. Which is where I need help:

The setup will be HSH and I need pickups that do good with lots of distortion, warm sound, and that crunchy sound. And would it be too much to ask if they could sound clean and bright in other modes?

I'd really really appreciate help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MicahC; 04-13-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: pickup description mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:58 AM

Re: pickup help

You can probably check some of the thousands of other pickup threads and get what you need. Pretty much everyone here will tell you to get some pickup that was a Jem, a Tone Zone/Air Norton combo, or a DUncan 59/JB combo.

Also, pickups dont have distortion.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:07 PM

You might like the DiMarzio breed neck and bridge set, along with a dimarzio hs-2 in the middle. Or try a PAF Pro in the neck with a Super Distortion in the bridge, again with the hs-2 in the middle.

and LOL at what cid said. Even sadder is that my first recommendation is a set out of a jem, funny enough.

BUT as stereotypical as it sounds I'm going to recommend the dimarzio breeds and the dimarzio hs-2.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 02:37 PM

Breeds are good. The tone zone is great if you want a chunky palm mutes. But if you want crunch, then it's the super distortion or the D-Activator for crunch and cutting palm mutes.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Also, pickups dont have distortion.
I meant sound good with lots of it.

But thanks CityofBlindingLights,buddroyce, and cid. I'll look into those.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahC View Post
I meant sound good with lots of it.

But thanks CityofBlindingLights,buddroyce, and cid. I'll look into those.
No problem man...

oh, you might want to look into the DiMarzio Super 3 as well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofBlindingLights View Post
oh, you might want to look into the DiMarzio Super 3 as well.
Yeah, I was looking at those and I really like the sound clips I heard and then I read some reviews. I really like what I'm seeing, since most of the reviewers play the same stuff I do.

I might just use that and the PAF pro you recommended instead of the Breed set, because the sound those make is more what I was trying to describe. Have you used either?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahC View Post
Yeah, I was looking at those and I really like the sound clips I heard and then I read some reviews. I really like what I'm seeing, since most of the reviewers play the same stuff I do.

I might just use that and the PAF pro you recommended instead of the Breed set, because the sound those make is more what I was trying to describe. Have you used either?
I've used Breeds and PAF Pros, but not the Super 3, though I have some friends who have them, and I've heard them in those rigs.

PAF Pro is my favorite neck pickup of all humbuckers (it would be my favorite neck pickup, if the Fender Hot Noiseless series didn't exist). It's just a really nice, sweet, singing tone that I just love, it's a phenominal neck pickup (although in the bridge slot I'm not as big of a fan there, I prefer the Steve's Special, or I'm trying out a Norton soon).

Breeds are really thick, they're great for lots of mids and bass, delivering a lot of crunch, but they've got some sweet quack in the 2 and 4 positions (listen to Answers from Vai's Metropole Orchestra recording).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot for your help
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 AM

Bill Lawrence L-500R in the neck, L-500XL in the bridge bring out the best of any guitar you put them in. As for the middle i'd say go with anything as long as its RWRP

Tags
air norton , air norton combo , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , neck pickup , paf pro , paf pros , palm mute , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode