Pickup Mounting Rings, Pickup Screws etc MIJ - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Pickup Mounting Rings, Pickup Screws etc MIJ

Hi Guys. Had a few simple questions that haven't proven very simple to find answers to, so I was hoping some of you guys could help me out.

I'm trying to piece back together a couple of guitars, an '88 RG560 and an 89 (I think, possibly '90) Both Made in Japan. Both square neck heel models.

First question is about pickup rings. Are Ibanez humbucking pickup mounting rings uniform? Are the pickup rings currently being used on RG's the same size/specs as the original Made In Japan RG's? Were the rings they used during the late 80's and early 90's even continuously the same?

I bought one replacement off ebay from a late 80's guitar that fit, but I was wondering if anyone knew the actual deal about the rings and which are compatible with which. Did the RG models use the same humbucking rings as say, the JS series guitars, or Radius, or, basically, the other similar model guitars in the same model years? In other words, is any MIJ Ibanez Humbucking pickup ring the same as any other? Are rings from newer models compatible with the old MIJ 80's guitars?

The other question is about single coil pickup screws-- the long very thin ones that are direct mount. Does anyone know the actual size specs on these? I know you can buy them from Ibanez Rules for a dollar each, I was just wondering if anyone knew an alternative, or if anyone actually knew which size they were, to help hunt down a possible alternate for replacement. Unfortunately I do not even have a single screw with which to work from, which is why Im asking. Also, again, does anyone know which screws Ibanez uses now for single coils that are direct mount, and if they are the same as the ones used on MIJ RGs.

Thanks for the help guys, sorry if My questions are a bit silly, or I seem a bit confused (I surely am! lol) But I appreciate any help you might offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM

Re: Pickup Mounting Rings, Pickup Screws etc MIJ

Regarding your first question, yes there is a basic difference between for example a 1993 MIJ Ibanez S or RG pickup rings and a 2003 MIK Ibanez S or RG pickup rings, this basic difference is in the thickness of the ring, older MIJ ones seemed to be thicker.
Now you asked if they are "compatible" and Im sure they are, they will look different though.
Ibanez's parts page states the pickup rings as part number 4MR1J212X (x meaning the color code for the part) as well as ibanezrules.com (though Rick sells them a bit cheaper )
I ve searched the web for the proper part number for old MIJ pickup rings, which are thicker than MIK ones but couldn't find any information.
The funny part is that I own a 2012 MIJ S5470 prestige and this one DOES feature thicker pickup rings in contrast to my 2004 MIK S470dx which has thinner and cheaper looking pickup rings.

Hope this helps somehow.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Re: Pickup Mounting Rings, Pickup Screws etc MIJ

Thanks a lot for the help. Yes, any info I can get to help guide me through this annoying, arcane realm of pickup rings lol

What I meant by compatible was just if it matches the screw holes. I dont really care about it looking perfect, and from what I can tell the difference, the thickness is barely noticible, at least for the most part. Just dont want to be redrilling screw holes 4 mm away from where the preexisting ones are.

Again, thanks.

Tags
made in japan , pickup rings , pickup screws

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode