Pickup selection for USRG30 - looking for a pickup that's no - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Pickup selection for USRG30 - looking for a pickup that's no

I've tried to get that scooped sound like John Petrucci's out of my USRG30 for some time now. I had a Dimarzio Steve's Special, which is the model he uses, but it get's too muddy. I've got the tone I want out of my EB/MM Petrucci (stock custom pickups) and out of my RG7620 (Blaze), but I can't get it out of this guitar. I'm thinking it's the difference in body wood (USRG30 is alder, opposed to the EB/MM and RG7620 being basswood). I've also tried the Tone Zone, which was the stock pickup in this guitar, but got the same results. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 01:28 PM

Pickup selection for USRG30

The wood plays a big part in it... I love the USRG's, but I'm a big Dream Theater fan, and somehow the two never seemed to come together regardless of what amp I used. To me... alder is a bit bright and a bit mushy sounding to keep up with JP's style of playing. I seem to have much better luck with guitars made of mahogany and basswood.

For the record, I tried putting and Air Norton & Steve's Special (Ibanez JPM pickups) into an alder-bodied 570, and it still didn't bring the guitar any closer to the JP sound.

The best option, if you really want that sound, might be to sell the USRG30 and pick up an RG3120. It wil get you a lot closer to the tone you're looking for.

--Brent
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Pickup selection for USRG30

I'd rather not sell the guitar. I've already got the tone I want out of two of my guitars, I just want the USRG30 to match it as close as possible. Thanks for the advise though. I tried putting an EMG 81 in it this morning, and I think that it's got the sound I need out of the guitar. If anyone has some better suggestions, please let me know!

Tags
air norton , dimarzio steve , ibanez jpm , john petrucci , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in