Pickup shielding unnecessary for modern pickups? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Was reading about guitar shielding and came across some talk about pickup shielding being unnecessary with modern pickups with shielded wire.

Before I install these guitar fetish pickups, it seemed like a good idea to ask.

The humbucker seems to have braided wire around the inner wires. I'm guessing that's shielding. The single pickups seem to just have regular wires.

****, did I just answer my own question? Ha. Maybe I ought to shield these single pickups after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:37 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: Pickup shielding unnecessary for modern pickups?

The pickup wires shield and the body cavity shield don't have the same purpose. I,ve also read many articles about shielding the cavities and was at the end convinced by its utility.

I then bought aluminum tape shield and did the shielding on my 2 electric guitars and at then end I don't feel it did change a thing to me...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I ordered the Kwikplug system and a few extra female ends to turn these pickups into plug'n'play.

I'm gonna say these kwikplug wires are probably shielded. They look heavy duty with the gold ends.

If anyone knows otherwise I'd appreciate a heads up. Thanks

Also, the original question about modern pickups, I'd still like to hear about.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
The pickup wires shield and the body cavity shield don't have the same purpose. I,ve also read many articles about shielding the cavities and was at the end convinced by its utility.

I then bought aluminum tape shield and did the shielding on my 2 electric guitars and at then end I don't feel it did change a thing to me...
Thanks. I probably don't need it. Just figured, while I have it apart, why not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode