Pinch Squeals/Harmonics. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Pinch Squeals/Harmonics.

Why is it that certain guitars it is easier to get a good pinch squeal and lots of harmonics, and other guitars, even with the same electronics just doesnt sound even close?

For example, I can hit pinch squeals on my RG520 and 560 easily on most frets, but on my 570, it just refuses to do it, even when I try it multiple times. They are all running the stock V8 bridge pickup's and all have Edge trems.

Is this a setup issue? Anything I can do to adress this?(Intonation checked with a digital tuner tobe correct)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 01:51 PM

hmmm... I would have said some pickups seem todo it better than others, but that could also be the guitar they are put in. Maybe trying a different set of pups in that guitar would solve the problem, and give you a new sound.

a poor setup could have an affect on tone and harmonics. Pickup height could also be an issue. You could try raising the pups up a bit and see if that helps.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 02:05 PM

Pinch harmonics

Action has an effect on pinch harmonics in my experience, I find it easier to squeze them out with a moderate action rather than a low one.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

They are the same pickups in all of my guitars, the 520, 560 and 570, all with V8 pickup's...

I will try to put the action up higher tonight. I wonde rif it has to do with wood or neck angles?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 04:26 PM

Do they sound the same unplugged?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 05:13 PM

I tend to get a lot of pinch harmonics when i play with a penny. I'm not recommending that you do this on a regular basis, but you could try it to see....ummmm...

I dunno.
~K
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 06:01 PM

Up until six months ago I was playing with very low action. I have since raised my action a great deal (about 3.0mm on the bass side and 2.5 on the treble side -at the open 24th fret). I will tell you that hammering, pinch harmonics, harmonic dives, etc. are a great deal easier to do and sound better than before IMHO. It is actually a bit easier to do arpeggios than before. The notes that ring out are clearer. I do have rather large hands/long fingers so that may make it easier.
Out,
GP
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper
Do they sound the same unplugged?
THey do not, the 570 is harder to do pinch squeals even un-pluged.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timanator
They are the same pickups in all of my guitars, the 520, 560 and 570, all with V8 pickup's...

I will try to put the action up higher tonight. I wonde rif it has to do with wood or neck angles?
well actually if you take the 520s neck off youll see the stamp that says *570* THey use the same necks although you may have a non bubinga wood model. For one thing the 520 is mahogany different frequence, with a sapele top *sort of like maple* To note both dimebag darrell and zakk wylde use mahogany maple capped guitars *even if the 520 top is too small to make a difference tonally*. Your action, and pickup Height are two key factors, and if your intonation is off the spots on the strings that cause harmonics will be in different places. Also try changing strings on the 570 to see if that helps at all
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
well actually if you take the 520s neck off youll see the stamp that says *570* THey use the same necks although you may have a non bubinga wood model.
Thats not true, the 570's neck is very much different from my 520 or 560's neck. This 570's neck is alot thicker than the other 2, this is a 570 CTTB.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 01:02 AM

Not trying to be a jerk here, but maybe practice is the order of the day. Someone here mentioned getting pinch harmonics unplugged. I would think that a if you get them unplugged on one guitar, regardless of pickups, you should get one on another guitar, if you were doing them the same way. Harmonic nodes don't move just because of pickups. They do get picked up differently, like for me, the bridge pickup will do it, but while the harmonic is ringing, switch to the neck pickup and it's gone. But, unplugged, the node point oughtta be in the same distances. Like I said...not being an ass, just wondering if maybe you've tried getting the same harmonics on every guitar unplugged. Pinch harmonics are picky, and the smallest change in picking either toward the bridge or nut will change the note and whether or not you are striking a node with your thumb. (Hope nobody reads that with a bad tone of voice...it looks mean, but i'm just making a suggestion)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies.

But it really isnt about practice, I been playing for roughly 12 years, and I have seen this problem fairly often (Like it is alot harder to get a pinch squeal off a Les Paul than a Ibanez RG) Just wondering why my 570 is also this way.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 03:37 AM

Point of thought:

The tonal qualities of any note are based on the combination of the fundamental tone and it's harmonic overtones. The reason different guitars have different tonal qualities even when playing the same pitch is because each one accents harmonics and fundamentals in a different way. From this one could draw this conclusion: A guitar that accents harmonics really well make it really easy to do pinch harmonics. A guitar that accent the fundamental more prominently will be less likely to have pinch harmonics.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 08:43 PM

[quote="Ankhnaten"]Not trying to be a jerk here, but maybe practice is the order of the day. Someone here mentioned getting pinch harmonics unplugged. I would think that a if you get them unplugged on one guitar, regardless of pickups, you should get one on another guitar, if you were doing them the same way. Harmonic nodes don't move just because of pickups. They do get picked up differently, like for me, the bridge pickup will do it, but while the harmonic is ringing, switch to the neck pickup and it's gone. But, unplugged, the node point oughtta be in the same distances. Like I said...not being an ass, just wondering if maybe you've tried getting the same harmonics on every guitar unplugged. Pinch harmonics are picky, and the smallest change in picking either toward the bridge or nut will change the note and whether or not you are striking a node with your thumb. (Hope nobody reads that with a bad tone of voice...it looks mean, but i'm just making a suggestion)[/quote} It is true, the 520 550 and 570 all have original wizard necks. No two neck is really identical though due to the hand finishing factor. Ive seen the numbers and I know what guitar the necks are made for.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Go look at the Ibanez Catalogue on Rich's website under 1995, look at the specs for RG570CT's.

Tags
beautiful guitar , bridge pickup , darren wilson , dimebag darrell , edge trem , edge trems , ibanez catalog , jem neck , les paul , neck angle , neck pickup , pickup height , pinch harmonics , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode