Please save me from throwing my RG7620 off a cliff - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Please save me from throwing my RG7620 off a cliff

This my first foray into a floyd rose system 7-string. Bought new strings for it, and I followed Richs template and by the time I get to tune the high E, my low B string is about 2 octaves lower and the tremolo unit is sky high.

Any advice would be great. I checked out some videos online but they don't seem to show the pattern in which you tune the strings before locking the nut down. I've seen people tune low E, high E, B, A, G, D, but when I apply that same method to the 7-string it just doesn't work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 09:15 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Please save me from throwing my RG7620 off a cliff

tighten the springs in the cavity...then tune...adjust the springs then retune...keep doing that until the edge sits level in the tuning you want...after that you won't have a problem with tuning...sounds like it needs a setup but don't throw it off a cliff...once the tension of the springs is set you'll be able to tune it every time unless you change the gauge of the strings...d.m.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 09:26 PM
Vendor

Did you put of a heavier gauge string set?

If you'd followed my template you would restring wound too high and detune into tune to eliminate chance of spring shock. Just follow diablo's advice and just find the balancing point of springs to strings.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 09:38 PM

7620 is the very best guitar I've owned. Never fear, you will get it. Make sure you know how to check that the trem is level (there's a mark for that). If you don't just ask, these guys will help you all the way.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1983 View Post
This my first foray into a floyd rose system 7-string.
It's a bit of trial-and-error, and it takes quite some time until you "get the feel"... I own an Universe, which is also a floyd-7, and it takes me only a couple minutes to setup it perfectly, even when changing string gauge.

I do all the stuff unconsciously these days, but mostly I tune the D string, then level the trem, then tune the A string, level the trem and tune the D again; then tune the low E, and so on... but sometimes I feel that a string will go lower after leveling the trem, so I just tune it higher than it should be, it saves time.

I mean, it's hard to explain because I do everything automatically after almost 20 years of floyd, but it's just practice man... don't give up, it's worth.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 06:45 AM

Reviews: 1

A simple tip. Use a piece of rubber eareser or something made of hard rubber under your bridge so it's levelled. Tune the guitar, remove the rubber piece. If the bridge raises, tighten the springs, if it's too low, loose the springs. Do this over and over until your bridge is levelled.

You might want to stretch the springs before you remove the rubber piece.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:33 AM

I'm afraid it's hopelessly broken and unusable

So give it to me

Try tightening the springs yes, and STRETCH your strings like a motherf*cker, it has a lot to do with the tension of each string so doing both should get you to zero.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 08:22 AM

Don't worry, newbe issues.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:07 PM

Setting up a floyd rose is a delicate balancing act between the string and spring tension. Here's my method of setting up a floyd.

1. Get yourself a small wooden block that will sit in the back cavity between the trem block and the back wall. The size of the block should be should be where when it's placed and held between the trem block and back wall the tremolo sits how you want it.
** Also don't put much tension on the springs just yet, just use enough to keem them from falling out.

2. From there put some tension on the strings to hold the block in place. Then tune the guitar to the tuning you will use.
** The idea here is that the block you put in will hold the tremolo in place while you put tension on the strings and bring the guitar in tune. Also if you need to do any neck adjustments this is a good time to do it.

3. Once you have it tuned to pitch start to put tension on the tremolo springs by slowly tightening the screws that holds the spring claw. Remember to tighten the screws evenly.

4. Put just enough tension on the springs where that wooden block you place in there to hold the tremolo in place just falls out. At that point you should be really close to having the right balance and only need minor adjustments.

I've used this method when I have to setup a floyd rose and it works really well. It saves alot of time and guesswork having to go back and forth from asjusting the springs and retuning.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
Setting up a floyd rose is a delicate balancing act between the string and spring tension. Here's my method of setting up a floyd.

1. Get yourself a small wooden block that will sit in the back cavity between the trem block and the back wall. The size of the block should be should be where when it's placed and held between the trem block and back wall the tremolo sits how you want it.
** Also don't put much tension on the springs just yet, just use enough to keem them from falling out.

2. From there put some tension on the strings to hold the block in place. Then tune the guitar to the tuning you will use.
** The idea here is that the block you put in will hold the tremolo in place while you put tension on the strings and bring the guitar in tune. Also if you need to do any neck adjustments this is a good time to do it.

3. Once you have it tuned to pitch start to put tension on the tremolo springs by slowly tightening the screws that holds the spring claw. Remember to tighten the screws evenly.

4. Put just enough tension on the springs where that wooden block you place in there to hold the tremolo in place just falls out. At that point you should be really close to having the right balance and only need minor adjustments.

I've used this method when I have to setup a floyd rose and it works really well. It saves alot of time and guesswork having to go back and forth from asjusting the springs and retuning.
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try. I tried the over tightening in Rich's method, but it just ends up snapping strings. I know I'm doing something wrong here, and I will laugh about it once I get the hang of it. It's just beyond frustrating right now. I've had the guitar for awhile and bought some strings recently and wanted to take it out again. Now I'm regretting it!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:40 PM

And #5- stretch your strings
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:34 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1983 View Post
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try. I tried the over tightening in Rich's method, but it just ends up snapping strings. I know I'm doing something wrong here, and I will laugh about it once I get the hang of it. It's just beyond frustrating right now. I've had the guitar for awhile and bought some strings recently and wanted to take it out again. Now I'm regretting it!
Don't get frustrated- We ALL have had to figure this out at one point. You'll get it too.

I think the best thing you can do is to take it to a local tech and ask him/her if you can watch him/her work on it. They'll, more than likely, get the setup wrong but you'll get the chance to visualize what's actually going on. Once you have a good understanding of the balancing aspect, we can help you dial it in to your version of perfect.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:44 AM
Banned

Aren't there like a zillion youtube vids explaining how to do this? I remember back in my days in the 80s we had to improvise with the floyds. Now all the info is out there. Having said that, after all those years with floyds, still the edge zero ii-7 managed to get me ch*t on my pants.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 12:05 AM

If you ever want to remove the trem for whatever reason, this is what I do, assuming it was leveled correctly to begin. Back off each screw in the claw 12 quarter turns. I like to count by quarter turns since that's my typical adjustment. At that point you can detune the guitar and then pull the springs right off. When you put it back together just screw them in the same 12 quarter turns.

The way I set up the guitar is low to high and I overtune the low string by at least half a step, then the next lowest a bit less but the high B and E probably a few steps flat. I won't work on getting them close to full tune until I start getting the low strings to stabilize somewhat.

While you're doing this watch the trem. If you're at level and you're still way low on the tuning, bring the screws in two quarter turns and start going again. You never want to let the trem get really high if you're not in tune because you're just creating extra work for yourself.

As far as stretching I don't do that until I get pretty close to in tune and the trem pretty much right.

Others way not agree with my methods but they work for me.

Edit: just read Rich's method and he's doing mostly the same thing I am.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 03-17-2015 at 12:15 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 12:11 AM

Another thing you could try if you're starting from scratch. Measure from the front edge of the trem route to the spring claw. Set that distance around 8mm. That might not be right but it shouldn't be miles off. I measure over both screws to make sure the claw is parallel with the edge of the route.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode