Is this possible? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Is this possible?

When adjusting trem springs to set angle, is it possible if done badly, to make it so that the bridge is leaning down, ie from bass strings>treble strings?

Because I fear I have done this , and the action/intonation is out of whack now on my b/e strings

any remedies

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 05:17 AM

Are you sure both sides of the trem are seated properly on the trem posts?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Im not sure really, im new to floating trems,
how could I check this?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 07:03 AM

if you look at the trem posts (the parts that the trem pivots about) there will be a groove on each one that the trem knife edges (pivots) should sit it, ensure that both sides of the trem are correctly in those grooves.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 09:19 AM

click on the swirly banner at the top of this page and follow it to a tutorial on setting up an Edge trem. it is extremely helpful to learn ALL the little details when setting up a floating system and Rich's site gives you all the info you need.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 12:15 PM

That sounds a little strange. Usually when you adjust the bridge angle, E, A, and G strings' intonations are most sensitive. I guess you can check if both of your posts are the same height. You can do taht by measuring the action on the low E string and the action on the high E string and compare the two. I'm not all that sure if the spring configuration in the back matters but its a good idea to keep it symmetric. You can also look at the angle of the bridge from top and from bottom (the two side of the bridge and how they look against the line of the body). In any case, i wouldn't worry too much about it. Just reintonate the ones that are out of wack and you'll be all set.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

The action of the high E is visibly lower than that of the low E, and the posts dont look the same height to me. But I don't know why that would be, when i got the guitar it was correctly intonated and seemed to play ok, but all the strings were flat ~ semitone when I tuned up and readjusted the trem angle the intonation/action went with the e/B strings.

Ill fix it somehow no doubt,
Hopefully
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 01:42 PM

double locking systems needs alot of tweaking. I personally never expect a duoble locking system to be perfect out of the box. Its important to get to know yours, www.ibanezrules.com is the best source there is. Jemsite is great too. Do you reading
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich__1984
The action of the high E is visibly lower than that of the low E, and the posts dont look the same height to me. But I don't know why that would be, when i got the guitar it was correctly intonated and seemed to play ok, but all the strings were flat ~ semitone when I tuned up and readjusted the trem angle the intonation/action went with the e/B strings.

Ill fix it somehow no doubt,
Hopefully
Ive gotta second that. For every 100 guitarist that use a floyd rose tremolo, Im willing to bet only 5 of em can really set the floyd up properly. Its sad but thats the truth the manuals they give out with the guitars simply arent sufficient. its sad really, but dont fear. The actual setup is easy but time consuming. A properly setup floyd I will take over any other guitars bridge type any day of the week

Tags
bridge angle , edge trem , floating trems , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode