possible to do a finish using paintbrush? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

possible to do a finish using paintbrush?

possible? im thinking of using normal paintbrush and pain some some stuff over my guitar, and apply a few layrs of laquer is tat possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 01:58 PM

Re: possible to do a finish using paintbrush?

Yes it is possible. Though, it will be a little difficult to get a smooth flat finish (i.e. flat to feel, rather than "matte"). I guess what you plan to do is use the clear coat to act as your flattener.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

im thinking of getting normal wall paint and paint over my guitar body. do paint stay on laquered surface? and after my painting, should i sand it to smooth it out? I will be drawing some stuff and will sanding it destroy the drawings? maybe i should try out, if not, i guess i juz apply more layer of laquer and sand and laquer it again? if i wan a non-glossy finish, i should juz apply laquer and sand it right? without buffing it?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 04:28 AM

I tried applying primer to a body with a brush. I found that no matter how good my brush was, the streaks appeared and were very difficult to sand away. I just ended up getting a spray can primer which worked.

I would suggest sanding the body before painting over it. It helps to prevent the paint from peeling off, especially if the guitar body has a nice shiny clearcoat on it. After a rough feel, lacquer should stick to it.

You can sand after painting, but that may indeed damage the drawing. If your drawing is flat, I would suggest directly clearcoating over that. If you want a matte (non-glossy) finish, you should get a matte clear coat can - cans!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 05:01 AM

if your guitar is already painted and clear coated...... you can hand paint some graphics on it... using createx paints......or something like parma faskolor acrylic paint will work.......that how a airbrusher would do graphics......but they use a combo of paintbrush and airbrush as far as i know anyways......then clear coat it......

and if you mess up.some rubbing alcohol should remove the paint you can google a search for airbrushing.....and will find some how to lessons..... normally lessons for cars or mototcycles but its the same princible
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 06:31 AM

Talking Re: possible to do a finish using paintbrush?

Bro paint's can react badly if you use the wrong type's of paint & trying to coat with diffrent paint's will result in a bad job! if you use a Auto paint then use the same paint in a clear coat, & the same goes for any type of paint you use, make sure it's all the same paint brand, goodluck with the project!

Cheers- Jake
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

hmm, use spray cans seem hard for me. I had tried spraying a pickguard before. the finish was a nightmare, uneven surface and bubbles around. Actually I am doing this one a spare body that had been around my storeroom for sometime. Its a agathis body super strat body. Im thinking of using those art painting paint? What did you call it? i barely remember the name, poster colour? or something near to that

Tags
clear coat , guitar body , strat body , super strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode