Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Possible to Paint my Pickups??

12K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  djpharoah 
#1 ·
I have a dilemma. I want yellow blaze pickups for my RG7 but they cost like $85USD on the bay, which is more than I want to pay.

So is it possible to remove the tops of the Dimarzio evo7, and blaze to paint them? If so what paints would one use? Any ideas, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
I dont think you can remove the tops since its a one piece that the coil is wrapped around. The Ibanez RG20051, black & white swirl has a painted pickup, but not sure what they used.

So you will need to get a plastic paint and spray on thin multi layers and have it harden so its not soft. ;)

#5 ·
Well, you have to think it through, IMO. How are yellow pickups going to help you play better?

If you really want to get them, then buy them from the same guy (mikes music shop) and see if he can cut you a deal on the shipping. They're $75 BIN plus shipping and 2.95 for each addt'l item.

Jimmy:smile:

#6 ·
I painted my pickups about 10 years ago. I just masked everything but the plastic bobbins, I used small round stickers that you can get from most craft type shops to mask off the pole pieces. I used car spray paint that I got from Halfords. Did about 6 or 7 light coats, used a hair dryer between coats, left about 15 mins between coats. Did the whole thing in about 2 hours. Suprisingly it looked really professional. I only took the pickups off about a year ago and they still looked great. I think because of the fact there covered by the strings and hardly ever get touched they don't get any chips or ware.
I painted mine dark purple, if you were going to paint them yellow you'd need to primer first.
Hope this is of some help, and if you do decide to go a head, the very best of luck.

#12 ·
despite all the funny jokes on here... the answer is

YES you can paint your pickups. You can even buy cheap plastic covers to make them look like EMG's and paint those if you like as well. Buying a can of spray paint will be much cheaper than buying new pickups in a different color.

Just be sure to prep them properly, take your time with painting them and you won't get any flaking or cracking.

#13 ·
I thought Yellow means "Caution" so wouldn't they make you play with more alertness???????

HAHA "That dude is really Alert!!!!!!!!!!!"
And yes I guess sometimes Yellow does mean Go faster....
But! What would happen if you played yellow pickups with a black pic;Would your tone be so transparent nobody could hear it EXECPT Eric Johnson????????

#18 ·
I have a dilemma. I want yellow blaze pickups for my RG7 but they cost like $85USD on the bay, which is more than I want to pay.

So is it possible to remove the tops of the Dimarzio evo7, and blaze to paint them? If so what paints would one use? Any ideas, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
I got my hot pink Evo from Don's Music City for the same price as any black Evo. I suggest going there. It will take 2-3 weeks for your pup to come in as they are MTO, but you won't be paying any more than you would for a black pup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.