Which pots? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Which pots?

I've been searching for months but for some reason I can't seem to figure out what would be a good replacement for volume/tone pots. I'm getting into doing some soldering and on one my used guitars the previous owner had done a number on pickup replacements with the amount of solder used, which I then went behind and replaced with different pickups. On the volume there is no gradual increase but going from like 0 to 3. It might be my soldering but for this particular guitar, RG920, I think I would like to try to replace the pots.

I'm just confused on all the numbers Ibanez provides on their parts page and what I see on other sites selling them that just list a pot only; so no specifics on use for tone or vol. Any recommendations that don't involve any mods to the guitar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Re: Which pots?

this question i guess hahaha in first welcoming gwill be asked to share more replys before commenting links
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:57 PM

here is a great explanation
https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-...one-capacitors

most of what you want to know is towards the end
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

Sounds like linear vol and audio tone is what I should use. I assume these won't require any mods to the body.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/produ...aft-38-bushing
https://www.amplifiedparts.com/produ...aft-38-bushing
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Vendor

Those are SAE [3/8"], you want asian shaft [metric].
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
AFAIR dimarzio are 8mm shaft and are audio taper (good sweep range) but you can quickly make the standard size fit if needed.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

I dont see any metric pots available. Just curious but what do all these numbers from Ibanez mean, D24, D7.8 / L10 + L8, I found them on the parts list.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Vendor

I don't know where you're getting those number from.

Typically they are listed as asian shaft and not metric, but they are metric.

I have all the original Ibanez pots but I got the impression you were looking for CTS or Bourns, it's been awhile since I looked but one of them doesn't make them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

If the attachment loads you can see there. But when doing search for parts on Ibanez website I look by guitar model and the list comes up. I was hoping those numbers might help me find a replacement. I was looking at CTS since they seem to get great reviews. After reading a bit more I might get the nerve up to get a reamer and see how that goes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RG920.pdf (474.2 KB, 7 views)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:18 PM
Vendor

Diameter 24mm - body
Diameter 7.8mm - shank
Length 10mm - shank
Length 8mm - shaft
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 PM

RG's usually use 500k pots. If i remember correctly 250k will roll of some highs (often used on Strats or with the ice picky SD JB pickup) and 1meg pots will roll of some bass. You will need the knurled shaft type to fit standard RG knobs. Longs shaft pots are for Les Pauls and will be way to long.

Audio for tone, linear for volume, although some guitars use audio for both but I suspect this is whats causing your volume knob problems.

Shank length wont make much difference as you can put a washer inside the body to lose a millimeter or 2 if needed. But again if remember correctly a 10mm "shaft" push/pull I put in one of my RG's was about 1mm to long, but all that did was make the knob sit a little high and possibly could have been fixed with a washer. Just go of the measurements "Rich" posted or have a look at your old pots.

The treble bleed is worth upgrading. I prefer to use a cap and a resistor rather than just a cap. Just google "treble bleed kit" and make one yourself for 50c worth of parts, or use better caps if you like.

I Also like fitting push/pull pots in my RG style guitars to split coil or run the humbuckers in parallel, but you will need 4 wire pickups, and again its been a few years since I did one, but i recall having to re-wire the 5 way selector switch on at least one guitar to get the push/pull working, so it is a bit of research and extra wiring to get that working. The length of where the wiring lugs attach to the push/pull pots can be an issue with them begin to long to fit in the cavity.

Cheap pots are just that, cheap and fail, US$5 pots usually work ok, more expensive pots tend to have a better feel to them.

Hope this info helps

Last edited by Angelus502; 08-10-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Tags
potentiometer , pots , tone , volume

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode