Preventing loose strap buttons - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Preventing loose strap buttons

Hey guys,

I've just bought my first solid-body electric.

I understand that loose strap buttons (i.e., worn/stripped threads) are a very common and troublesome occurance that can happen over time with the entire weight of the guitar resting on the strap buttons.

Is there anything easy I can do while the guitar is still brand new to stop this from happening in the future?

E.g., drip some wood glue into the strap button hole to strengthen the wooden threads?

Or apply some loctite to the wood screws?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:10 AM

Reviews: 39
Re: Preventing loose strap buttons

You've got the right idea. What I did as a guitar tech if someone had a stripped thread was to take some super glue (sounds silly, but totally works, and will last!) and sawdust and refill the thread hole. Once it is set, you can re-install the strap button and it will be good as new!

The sawdust is very important; all that guitar weight will tear through superglue, but using sawdust will "remake" the wood there and help grab onto the threads.

Hope this helps!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 02:30 PM

A good quick fix I've used a couple of times when my strap buttons become loose is to put a piece of toothpick or wooden matchstick in the hole then screw in the button. It doesn't take much. Using the soft wood toothpick or matchstick was always enough to give the screw a good hold and I never had a problem after that.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Slaughter View Post
A good quick fix I've used a couple of times when my strap buttons become loose is to put a piece of toothpick or wooden matchstick in the hole then screw in the button. It doesn't take much. Using the soft wood toothpick or matchstick was always enough to give the screw a good hold and I never had a problem after that.
was gonna say this. a toothpick
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 10:37 PM

Reviews: 12

I just bought a body where the strap button was pulled out. I took a couple toothpicks cut them to little slivers the depth of the hole. I took some wood glue dipped each sliver in the glue then stuffed them in the hole added a little more glue to the hole. I then threaded the button and screw in the hole till it was about 1/16-1/8 from tight, waited till the next day, removed the screw and button. I then cleaned up any glue or tooth picks that stuck out. I reinstalled button and screw, Tightened it and it worked great.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 11:15 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Preventing loose strap buttons

Use c0cktail toothpicks because they are bigger than normal ones...

Tags
strap button

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in