Prices for inlay & replacement body question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Prices for inlay & replacement body question

I recently got in touch with a family friend who's been making guitars for years about the possibility of doing a vine inlay on my RG620. As a very rough price he's quoted £200-250 depending on materials. He said it's a bit pricier because all the frets would have to be removed & replaced to do it.
Does that sound reasonable? I haven't found any UK online places that give prices for comparison..

Also, I asked about the possibility of making a replacement body for a smashed up BC Rich 7 string. He said that would be around £200 + finishing depending on the wood used. Given current exchange rates I could probably get one of the Jem style 7 string bodies from About Time Designs for around the same price (even with shipping & tax), but what are the chances that the hardware would fit? (Particularly the trem routing).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 08:30 AM
dex

Fire off an email to Paul at arrowheadguitars.
I don't know if he does inlays but he'll quote you for a body.
The BCRich hardware will fit as all the FR and derivatives have the exact same space between the posts and the EDGE/lo-pro need the largest route so everything else will fit in there withot a problem.

About inlays - as it's going to cost you at least £200 because of the neaded refret (at least £100) why don't you ebay your 620.
Since it's only a few months old and you still have all the hangtags and stuff I'm pretty sure it will fetch around £400, and then just get yourself a new 2820 for £600.
It's only going to take 2 weeks (one for the auction and one to get payment and buy a new guitar) and this way you know what you are getting.
Same money but much quicker and you won't have to pull the guitar appart.

ilia
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Hmm the 2820 idea is good, but I've decided to keep the 620 for definite, and I'm not sure if I could stand all the hassle of swapping the pickups, packaging things, sending them etc etc. Also, if I did get the inlay done on the 620 I could get it customised. I'm thinking of coming up with a simpler design that won't need the frets pulled (something like PRS birds, but more original...)

Good to know that the hardware will fit the Jem style body, but I just realised that the neck routing will might be different? Also the BCR has a scale length of 25.3" and 25 frets which might make things difficult
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:17 AM
dex

Are you sure you can handle pulling the guitar appart and waiting 2 months?
Also the refret is not neaded because the inlay is too big or too complicated but because to level it with the fretboard and keep it properly radiused will be much harder with the frets in place.
It can be done but it'll take twice as long and instead of paying for new fretjob you'll just end up paying for more hours work and the price will end up being the same.

About the BCRich, 25.3" - it's probably a typo.

ilia
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

it was a typo on my part!
Should have been 25.4" according to http://www.bcrich.com/mock/mockspecs.html

Unless the BC Rich web monkeys are a fat-handed as me!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:31 AM
dex

Well a normal FR or derivative have about 1/2" intonation play so you should be fine.

ilia
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:38 AM

You have many options, EKG is as good a place to start as any,there are alot of people doing replacement bodys,but i think for Quality and consistancy you can't go wrong with EKG,and with current exchange rates and shipping etc it'll cost arounf the £200 anyhow ... As for Inlays,ya just gotta go with LGM,Jeremys work gets better,every time i see his stuff it makes me wanna sell everything i own to get some stuff done ... Eventualy

Of course,If EKG does your body,i'm sure he could do a hardtail version for you also,it's something to think about

I would offer to do it for ya dude,But until i get my RB body done,start paying for advertising on here,i'm not doing orders,Mainly out of respect to the current paid advertisee's ... That and if i do this,i know i'll get better,if i don't what i save on advertising i can send to EKG and LGM :-)

Rob

p.s. i know the PRS birds are sweet,but you want something original ... What about aardvarks :P
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Hmm I think I'd be too worried to send the neck to LGM. I know he does awesome work and if he was in the UK I'd probably do it.

I'd forgotten about EKG for bodies. How does it work with these things, would I need to measure the neck pocket on the BCR?

And I quite like the idea of aardvarks... Hmm 3d disappearing aardvarks?

Tags
jem style body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode