Pro rocker bridge setup - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 5,174
Pro rocker bridge setup

I found some minor things going on with my destroyer so I decided to do a little adjusting this morning. First, there were 5 springs instead of 3, so I took out 2 to make bends a lot easier, and readjusted the trem a bit but I have a problem: What is the exact zero point trem angle of the pro rocker? Is it similar to the OE in that the knife edges have to be perfectly level with the body? Should the bridge be lowered to be against the body or should it be raised to do dives and pull ups on the arm? Anyone have any pictures of a properly set up pro rocker trem?
MatiasTolkki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:26 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 238
Re: Pro rocker bridge setup

The knife edges on this bridge are more rounded as opposed to sharp like on floyds. IIRC the zero point should be where the base of the bridge is parallel to the body. From that you can go two ways. You can lower the bridge against the body where it will be dive only or you can raise everything straight up where it's floating, the base is parallel to the body and can do dives and light pulls. If you want a little more room for pull ups you can angle the bridge slightly. The fact that you can adjust the individual saddles for string height & intonation and that the bridge/post contact point isn't fully sharp gives you alittle more wiggle room on positioning. Once you get the bridge height/position set how you like you can then adjust the saddles.

This may be helpful to you.
madasahatter is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 5,174
Re: Pro rocker bridge setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
The knife edges on this bridge are more rounded as opposed to sharp like on floyds. IIRC the zero point should be where the base of the bridge is parallel to the body. From that you can go two ways. You can lower the bridge against the body where it will be dive only or you can raise everything straight up where it's floating, the base is parallel to the body and can do dives and light pulls. If you want a little more room for pull ups you can angle the bridge slightly. The fact that you can adjust the individual saddles for string height & intonation and that the bridge/post contact point isn't fully sharp gives you alittle more wiggle room on positioning. Once you get the bridge height/position set how you like you can then adjust the saddles.

This may be helpful to you.
Thanks man. After I run through my current strings, I'll do an absolute full setup using this guide you provided. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for, but couldn't find anywhere
MatiasTolkki is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:04 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Re: Pro rocker bridge setup

Matias,

I am glad somebody found the hard to find guide on these (once common) bridge systems. When Ibanez moves on from any design they completely move on and it's not like a Fender trem which is basically the same design since its inception in 1954.

I hope there's a good aftermarket company that can carry replacement parts. Ibanez sold a ton of guitars back in the day with Pro Rock'r trems and there has to be an aftermarket parts company somewhere, unless Ibanez Legal forbids it.
63Blazer is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,704
Re: Pro rocker bridge setup

As you say, they made a ton of these guitars so there's always used parts on ebay or guys that specialize is stocking replacement parts by buying the trems and breaking them down. There's no real need for aftermarket, though there was a guy machining the T blocks you never see him post them on ebay anymore because there's always complete trems on there, and nuts, etc.
Rich is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:32 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Re: Pro rocker bridge setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
As you say, they made a ton of these guitars so there's always used parts on ebay or guys that specialize is stocking replacement parts by buying the trems and breaking them down. There's no real need for aftermarket, though there was a guy machining the T blocks you never see him post them on ebay anymore because there's always complete trems on there, and nuts, etc.
The parts of Ibanez guitars seem to be hit and miss on eBay. You should find people who machine parts and get into business with them.

You are the most visible Ibanez guy out there that I know of besides the big box stores and youtube presences.

Maybe you should get a long list of these guys on your site who have the old used parts (or machine them) but then in exchange get a percentage of their sales.

It could help you some but help them a ton. I just don't know how any individual (probably hobbyist) guy can get exposure to sell his vintage Ibanez parts.

Visibility is a huge thing.

I make graphics/art for skateboards and have a couple of pros and amateurs I have sponsored, but unless I am Pac Sun, Macy's, Zumiez, or Tillies, it's hard to get known. I could take the top ten skaters in the world and get boards out to them, but being that they are all primarily sponsored by big box stores and big skate shoe/clothing companies, there's just no way to get widely known.

My friend who did this only got so far with his independent skateboard art/skate-surf clothing art because he was invisible outside the local area, so now he makes designs and has to sell off to those higher profile entities. On one end it's good that he gets on average $2,500 dollars per design they purchase and has given him the independence to move out of mom's house and start his own life, but then it's hard for him to see that company make a ton of them and get all the money. What was once done at his house and sold as unique art (let's say silk screened t-shirt) are now made in huge factories overseas. He was an artist of unique designs but now he's one of many design contacts on a rolodex. But like many small entrepreneurs in certain fields, he had to work with the big boys to make a living.

I think the monopoly of big companies/sellers makes it so smaller entrepreneurs in certain fields (probably guitar parts and certainly skate/surf designs) have to go to a partner that is much bigger than them. It may be a better choice to be a small part of a big fish than a totally invisible small fish.
63Blazer is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,704
Re: Pro rocker bridge setup

The simple answer is Ibanez Collectors World, their whole focus is vintage Ibanez and the guys that deal with them and the parts like "Mr. Ibanez".
Rich is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:44 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Re: Pro rocker bridge setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The simple answer is Ibanez Collectors World, their whole focus is vintage Ibanez and the guys that deal with them and the parts like "Mr. Ibanez".
I didn't know that there was such an entity, but thanks for the site. I will check them out.
63Blazer is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 5,174
Re: Pro rocker bridge setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The simple answer is Ibanez Collectors World, their whole focus is vintage Ibanez and the guys that deal with them and the parts like "Mr. Ibanez".
Wooo I'll need to check them out too.

I've seen a lot of old Pro Rock'r roadstars being sold for like 250 USD or less over here, so I could just look around for gold hardware RS' and grab one if I need parts
MatiasTolkki is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 07:23 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 394
Re: Pro rocker bridge setup

I bought parts from Mr Ibanez for my Pro Rock'r. He's also got NOS stuff sometimes.

The other guy who does old Ibanez stuff is http://www.reproguitarparts.com. I believe he also posts on the Ibanez Collectors World forum. He's got some Pro Rock'r bits in stock at the moment. Does other stuff like pu rings, truss rod covers, knobs, hardware etc.
Ashurbanipal is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 5,174
Re: Pro rocker bridge setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
I bought parts from Mr Ibanez for my Pro Rock'r. He's also got NOS stuff sometimes.

The other guy who does old Ibanez stuff is http://www.reproguitarparts.com. I believe he also posts on the Ibanez Collectors World forum. He's got some Pro Rock'r bits in stock at the moment. Does other stuff like pu rings, truss rod covers, knobs, hardware etc.
Wooo that sounds like an option. Does he refurbish the parts?
MatiasTolkki is offline  
Reply

Tags
pro rocker

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RG 3120 Bridge Setup Langeani All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 23 08-14-2012 09:26 AM
Wtd Pro Rocker or Hard Rocker term. Zoot Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 03-22-2012 12:06 PM
info on the pro rocker / hard rocker bridge ? j.arledge All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 7 01-11-2011 11:35 AM
Need parts for Pro Rocker bridge radzone All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 5 05-08-2010 04:47 AM
JS edge bridge setup chemicalmagical Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 7 04-03-2004 03:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome