Problem with the angle of my Edge Zero trem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Problem with the angle of my Edge Zero trem

I've been registered on here for a while, but this is my first post. This forum is filled with Ibanez experts, so hopefully someone can help me out with this!

I'm having an issue with my edge zero's setup angle on my RGD2127. From what I'm gathering from various sources, the edge zero should be parallel to the body. If you take a look at the Ibanez manual, figure 1 and 3 on page 15 show the trem parallel to the body.

My problem is when the trem is parallel to the body it doesn't touch the ZPS bar. I attached an image to show what the trem looks like when I push the whammy bar down until it touches the ZPS bar (without moving the bar). It doesn't look right to me when the trem is at the angle. The strings are off the guitar at the moment, but when I tried to reduce the tension on the springs to move the trem so it touched the ZPS bar, the action was way too high on the 12th fret and higher.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edgezero.jpg (91.7 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 AM

Re: Problem with the angle of my Edge Zero trem

One thing I have found on trem angles is if you are in tune at A440, and you don't like the angle, then just loosen all the string 1/2 turn on the tuners at a time. You will find that the guitar will, for the most part, still be at A440 but the trem will get lower in the back. If the trem is too low, do the opposite, turn the tuners tighter 1/2 turn at a time until you like the angle. Obviously the lock nut must be loosened.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Now that I think about it, my title is a bit misleading. What I'd like is for the trem to be parallel and touching the ZPS bar. I'd like to use the ZPS bar and get that extra stability. I've played other Ibby's at stores and what not where the ZPS is touching the trem, so I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my guitar and what I can do to get it to work.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 AM

Wont changing the trem angle make it touch?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

The problem is the trem angle to make it touch is the angle in the picture I attached. I'd rather not leave the trem angled like that, I'm sure that isn't good for the knife edges.

I'm thinking maybe I need to remove the foam where the ZPS bar sits, or add foam to the tremolo block that touches the ZPS bar...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Could the bar itself be bent?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 AM

As a fellow EZ user, I must tell you this:

1. When you have engaged the ZPS, the angle of the tremolo system doesn't matter. While a normal double-locking system requires a 90 degree angle for perfect equilibrium, the ZPS is not limited to two forces - there is a third counterbalance, the stop-bar. Ignore the angle, as it doesn't matter. Set the guitar up so the tremolo system "hugs" the stop bar, without pushing it outside of its rests.
2. If you hate the feel of the ZPS, simply remove the two smaller springs with your bare hands. When you have removed it - the EZ becomes a normal double-locking trem, and angle DOES matter. In this case, you would need to have the trem parallel to the body.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:02 AM

Reviews: 120

I can't see the pic properly on my mobile, but it's not the baseplate that should be parallel, it's the knife edges themselves that need to be. There should be little rectangle type bars you can see on the sides of the baseplate (pretty sure EZ s the same as most other Ibanez trems). Make sure they are parallel to the body.

Sorry if you already mentioned that. I'm quite tired right now.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 09:59 AM

Im having the exact same problem with the exact same guitar

Recently got myself an RGD7 2127z and the trem is tilting upwards toward the strings. The adjustment knob is already at max tension and my strings are in drop G ( G D G C F A D from low to high string)

I want to get set in drop G# so that would be all the string up a half step but i can't do that since it would only result in getting the angle even higher... Should i change the springs for tighter ones? only 2 springs plus subsprings is really a pain if i could put more springs on that would fix the problem...

Oh btw im already considering changing the gauge of the strings from .10 to .09 would that be enough to tune my strings 1/2 step higher and get trem angle right or i should consider toying with the springs too?

Im new to trem systems so thanks for any feedback you can give me

PS: Im not getting that knife concept pretty well where is that "knife" located exactly?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
PS: Im not getting that knife concept pretty well where is that "knife" located exactly?
Ignore the thing about the baseplate not being paralell. On some other ibanez trems, such as the original edge, lo pro, edge pro, etc. the knife edge was at a different angle then the baseplate, making the trem angle supposed to look like this:

Your edge zero baseplate SHOULD be level with the body, like this:

(not my pictures)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:20 PM

Can you string up the guitar and take pictures of the spring cavity? Just wondering, what gauge strings and tuning are you in?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Vendor

thread is 4 years old.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
thread is 4 years old.
Yeah i just had a question regarding it and reopened it instead of making a new one

Anyways i got my problems pretty much solved at the moment (changed the springs for tougher ones )

Thanks for the concern!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
thread is 4 years old.
Really 4 years and have not fixed it?

Tags
edge zero , rgd2127 , setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in