Problem with my Lo Pro Edge Tremolo!!! Won´t keep pitch!! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Problem with my Lo Pro Edge Tremolo!!! Won´t keep pitch!!

Hi. I live in Argentina and bought from ebay´s two years ago a jem 7v which comes with a lo pro edge. I´ve changed a couple of times the strings, made some some adjustments though I´m not very used to.
The thing is that when I use the tremolo I loose the picth. I don´t know if I have to change the three springs or what!! I´m worried about this, thinking my floyd rose might be defective.
If anybody knows what to do, please tell me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Vendor

Could be just procedure or user error, could be something worse. Here's the place to start

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 10:52 PM

Take it to your local guitar tech and have him set intonation and bridge angle. Should be golden then.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 11:12 PM

Changed a couple of times the strings? I hope in two years you've changed them more than a couple, unless you only play the guitar a few times a month. :-)

Did you stretch the strings? This is often the most commen "problem" with FR trems if you're not familiar with them.

You MUST stretch the strings, go to Rich's site for detailed instructions.

If that's not the case, simply follow Rich's instructions for checking everything out.

Mic
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for your concerne. I want to learn how to maintain my guitar. I followed Rick´s instructions, but still have the problem. Maybe one of the knives edges could cause the problem. The straight knife edge is not perfectly straight, it has a very little imperfection due to post contact. I've compared this middle part of the knife I'm talking with the rest of the knife, and it has the same thickness. This tells me that the thickness is almost the same as when it was bought new (by the guy sold).
If the problem lies in the knifes, could I replace them? Or do I have to spend my all the little money I have on a new floyd rose??
thanks to everybody...

Ezequiel
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that it is not a problem of strings. I change them regularly. Also, I can see by eye, that the when I pull one way, and then to the opposite, it doesn´t return to the position. If I can see this, imagine the sound!!

Ezequiel
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 11:07 AM

Again I ask, did you stretch the strings?

If the strings are not stretched you will see (and hear) drastic changes in the angle when you not only use the trem, but even bending strings.

You said you changed the strings, okay, that's good, new strings is always good, but if they are not stretched they will stay in tune WORSE than old strings.

Mic
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Yes Mic. I did. Eventhough with the old strings (aprox. 6 months of use: they were very stretched) I had the same problem.

Thanks
Ezequiel
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I think I always have the problem since I bought it from ebay two years ago. I thought that it was natural for the tremolo to loose pitch (thanks to my ignorance). A few months ago talking with a friend, I understood I was having a big problem. Should I use more than three springs?? Change them??

Ezequiel
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Vendor

Sounds like either pickguard interference, fat knives/pinched studs, or loose inserts. You're not explaining anything about how it's going out of tune when it is to determine, but, your answer IS here

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Hi Rich. I already followed all the steps mentioned on the link. I removed the tremolo, cleaned the posts and knives. The knife edge which is NOT round, could be a little bit thick. As it is straight, in the middle is were it is in touch with the post; the rest of the knife, I suppose should be the same as when first bought the guitar (do you follow me?). I compared the middle of the knife with the rest and it there is the same thickness, and a slight difference in texture(the post-trace).
If I move tremolo from one way (pull), watch measure the position of the tremolo, then move again the tremolo to the opposite side, the tremolo returns to a different position. Of course, the pitch is very different.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Vendor

Move the bar down only and if you started in pitch it always returns in pitch correct? And the noses on the trem are not making contact with the pickguard right? Fat knives/pinched studs.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

1) I move the bar down
2) Let it come again
3) Meassure pitch
4) Move the bar down again
5) Release the bar
6) Measure the pitch

Result: Good, no big change in pitch

But if:
1) I move the bar down
2) Release
3) Meassure
4) Move the bar up
5) Release
6) Measure the pitch

Result: Huge change in pitch, I even can see by eye that there are different positions for the tremolo!!!

Talking about the contacts, the only contact between the guitar and posts are the knives and posts. Nothing else is in touch.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Vendor

Always sharp? Fat knives/pinched studs.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 02:22 PM

Just curious, how HUGE a change in pitch?

Rich said fat knives/pinched studs and I think everyone else will agree . . .

This can cause as much as a half step sharp on your low E string in the worst case. (This is rare, however)

Just remember though, "100% Perfect Float" is more rare than platinum. Most guitars will still be a touch sharp on pull-up even with nearly perfect knives and studs.

Rich has found that a little Chap-stick on the studs helps with this (though my G string still comes back 4 cents sharp, I can live with that, I just split the differance when I tune, 2 cent flat from dropped and all sounds fine to the ear ;-) ).

Pain in the tucas, isn't it?

Once these things are working as well as they can, they are hard to give up once you get used to "perfect" tuning. :-)

Mic

PS
Are the studs locked properly? Sometimes this can fix 50% to 90% of common tuning problems with the Edge.

Tags
bridge angle , floyd rose , guitar tech , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode