problem with my universe - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

problem with my universe

hi there. i have a 7 string and a problem. The low H is making this "knack" sound, when i use my floydrose. when i open the stinglock to that sting (and the low E string) the problem dont exist, but i can let it be like that - cant use my wammy, when the lock is'nd locked ;-). hope one of you can help me. thanks michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:06 AM

Re: problem with my universe

is it just hitting the pickup making the knack sound? Thats common place on some things, if you loosen the nut the string doesnt go quite as slack..............it could be anything honestly though but im assuming its just hitting the pickups
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

hi thee. thanks for your answere. but its not the pickups. its at the locksystem the problem is. and its only the low H there make this knack-noise. when i use my wammy, it give this short, fast knack, when i pull the wammy back.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micdreyer
hi thee. thanks for your answere. but its not the pickups. its at the locksystem the problem is. and its only the low H there make this knack-noise. when i use my wammy, it give this short, fast knack, when i pull the wammy back.
when you say H it reminds me of a brasseye sketch... do you mean B? since there is no H note..

anyway... is the bridge clipping the wood when you pull back? unlikely but its the only thing i can think of at the moment
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

hi there. no, it dont. the problem is where the string is hitting the stringlock. i thinks its where it makes the problem
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 04:34 PM

tried tightening the locking nut a bit more? ( do not overtighten,... it will break )
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. S
when you say H it reminds me of a brasseye sketch... do you mean B? since there is no H note..

anyway... is the bridge clipping the wood when you pull back? unlikely but its the only thing i can think of at the moment

Slightly offtopic here but my Swedish Sight Reading teacher told me that the note H is the same as something like B i think. I can't really remeber
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 06:48 PM

i tune down to H too....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 06:53 PM

Guessing here, but is it possible you have the B string between the nut and the tuning peg over tightened? Kinda sounds like the further loss of tension when you drop the tremolo is causing the string nut to struggle to hold on to what may be too much tension. Maybe try loosening the nut, retune, then clampdown the nut. If that doesnt improve anything is it possible the nut itself is somewhat stripped from over tightening and its not clamping down properly?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 PM

H = B in some European countries.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
H = B in some European countries.
freaky.
So (anyone who uses H), if you were teaching someone a scale,
say A-min, what would you list the notes as? A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H?

Last edited by RapIsNotMusic; 12-08-2005 at 02:56 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapIsNotMusic
freaky.
So (anyone who uses H), if you were teaching someone a scale,
say A-min, what would you list the notes as? A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H?
A-H-C-D-E-F-G-A
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 10:58 AM

hey there. it may be your lock nut assembly needs to be re tightened to the neck. it sounds crazy i know, but my 7620 had the same problem. the two screws that go through the neck itself may be loose. i used to get a knocking/popping sound when i used to use my bar as well
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
Slightly offtopic here but my Swedish Sight Reading teacher told me that the note H is the same as something like B i think. I can't really remeber
ive never come across a H note, but theory isnt my strongest point, ill have to ask my theory teacher...

Tags
lock nut , locking nut , string nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode