Problem with neck bow - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Problem with neck bow

Hi!
I have got problem with neck bow in my guitar. On E6 side neck the lowest point of neck is about 6 fret. On e1 side the lowest point is about 12-14 fret.
It should be the same on both sides.
What i can do??
Please help :)

Adam from Poland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 11:41 AM

Re: Problem with neck bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelman
Hi!
I have got problem with neck bow in my guitar. On E6 side neck the lowest point of neck is about 6 fret. On e1 side the lowest point is about 12-14 fret.
It should be the same on both sides.

Adam from Poland
What do you mean by, "lowest point"?

Do you mean it's farthest from the straight edge at those points, or closer?

How are you measuring? Press the strings at the first fret and last fret and measure at the 8th fret using a feeler gauge and tell us the numbers for the high E and low E.

It's common to have a little less bow on the high E side, no neck is perfect and many will "twist" a little like this, but as long as you have about .3 to .5 mm on the LOW E side, and either the same or a little less on the HIGH E side, you should be fine as long as the frets are good, and there is no serious twisting.

Measure at the same frets(s) on either side, don't worry if it seems a little closer at other frets. Only a PERFECT neck will have an even grade from nut to body, and that's simply not going to happen when you're dealing with wood. :-)

Mic
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I am pressing E6 on 1 and 24 fret and the lowest point of neck is on 6 fret. When i am pressing e1 on 1 and 24 fret and the lowest point is on 12 fret.
The lowest point should be IMHO on the both sides the same (the lowest point on 7-9 fret)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 03:22 PM

Okay, again I'll ask, what do you mean by "lowest point"?

Is that where it has the MOST bow? Or the least?

Just check at fret 8 or 9 and tell us what you get on E6 and E1 at the SAME FRET.

Mic
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 03:24 PM

Oh, and please, give a number, pref. mm, don't just say "lowest point, highest point, a little lower/higher . . ."

That way we can make suggestions if anything needs to be adjusted.

Mic
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

When i press E6 on 1 and 24 fret on 12 fret i have 0,1mm or less bow. On e1 when i press 1 and 24 fret on 12 fret i have 0,3-0,4mm bow.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:45 AM

Okay, that does seem a little strange, what are you getting at the 8th or 9th fret?

Your neck MAY be a little twisted, but not having the guitar in my hands to look at it I can't tell for sure.

Don't panic yet, and remember, THEY WILL NOT BE THE SAME ON BOTH SIDES. It's rare to find a neck that is perfectly symmetrical.

Let me know what you're getting at the 8th (or 9th) fret as that's more towards the middle of the neck and we'll go from there.

A trip to a repair shop may be in order, but don't get your panties in a bunch just yet. :-)

Mic
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:47 AM

Oh, and just to make sure I'm clear, when you say E6 you DO mean the LOW E, right? (The thick one?) ;-)

Mic
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Yes E6 is the low E (that big,bass one :)

Tags
neck bow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode