Problems with Ibanez PGM100 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Problems with Ibanez PGM100

Hello:

I joined the forum today because I have a very unpleasant situation I would like help with.

I have an Ibanez PGM100. Serial number: F144442. I checked on this site and 2 others about the serial number and I concluded the guitar is from 1991, Fuji-gen factory. Everything in the guitar is stock except for the volume pot which I replaced once. I got it in 1995, maybe 1996; I'm not sure right now.

I have not played in years and part of my new years resolution is to start playing again. Today I checked the guitar and what I found out broke my heart... I had not used the guitar for at least 3 years and I left it in a room inside its hardshell case. (My bad, I know already). On the wall where the case was laying against I noticed there is a lot of humidity getting in through the concrete and from the ceiling. So, needless to say the humidity did a number on my guitar.

Here are the cosmetical problems I found already. I have not plugged it in yet. I'm afraid of what I might find out if I do.

1. The volume pot is stuck. Hard rock stuck. Trying to move it I ended up peeling the small teeth inside the knob.

2. The binding on the neck is not white anymore. It looks yellowish.

3. The paint is faded. The finish does not look Jewel Blue anymore. It looks almost black and the F-holes are faded too. Some areas also have some white stains that I could not remove by cleaning the instrument.

4. Obviously the hardware present some corrosion.

5. This is what bothers me the most. It is autographed by Paul Gilbert and his name and half of the letter G vanished. That made me really angry.

Here are some pictures:

Back in the day this guitar was worth $1,500.00. The re-issue is priced at the same price tag depending on the retailer.

How much is mine worth? I don't want to sell it I just want to know.
Is it any way to restore it to its former glory?
If yes... Is it worth the time, effort and money?

Please let me know your opinion. That was my main guitar for years. And my most appreciated treasure.

Thanks
Scarified_pr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 PM

Re: Problems with Ibanez PGM100

The volume pot is an easy fix for a guitar tech, the other stuff just kinda go along with leaving a guitar in its case. Faded stuff isn't really fixable. The action looks really high, i'd get a set up on it for sure.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

1. Welcome to Jemsite.
2. Sorry to hear and see your PGM issues.
3. Replace the volume pot yourself--no need for a tech. Take the knob off, unscrew it, desolder it, and throw it in the trash--get a new one.
4. Completely clean that mess of a guitar. Go here: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm
5. You might want to check and rewire the electronics, since you'll be replacing the vol pot anyway.
6. Do a proper setup. Go here:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
7. In the future, check on your stored guitars every once in awhile.
8. Keep us updated throughout this whole process.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips.

This question may be stupid or basic but I better be sure...

Can I use sandpaper to remove the corrosion out of the tremolo and tuners?

I think that is a big NO, NO!!! But I rather be sure better than not trying anything to save my guitar
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 AM

Reviews: 120

Sand paper will remove the corrosion and the finish, and probably rough up the metal. Chrome polish will clean the corrosion, and strip the trem back to chrome, without roughing up the metal. If you want it all to be chrome use the metal polish. If not probably just leave it.

With regards to the paint, use a automotive cutting compound, not too heavy a one, and then automotive polish. Do it by hand. See how that goes to clean up the paint.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the tips.

I tried a product I bought to use on the car headlights to make them look whiter when the acrylic is yellowish. Just a drop on the back of the guitar and it work. Not perfectly but worked. I will not used on the whole guitar thou.

Inspecting it more carefully I noticed that the Jewel Blue paint is clearly still there but the clear coat turned yellow. As you can see in the 4th picture under the back plate (the autographed one).

Luckily for me the headstock did not suffered considerable damage. and I have a good reference point of how the blue is supposed to look and the pink too.

I was checking similar threads in this forum and I found someone posted a video link about micromesh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVMI4PqvK00

I think I'll go with Phantom's advise first. But I had never bought a cutting compound. I hope I do not get a heavy one. I better ask the store clerk at site. Wish me luck!!!

Last edited by Scarified_pr; 01-25-2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: orthographic error
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 AM

Reviews: 120

The cutting compounds say what they are. I'd suggest a Meguires medium cut compound. Medium should be strong enough to get the yellowing out of the clear without Taking all the paint off.

Tags
paul gilbert , pgm100 , signature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode