Process to radius coiled stainless wire - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Process to radius coiled stainless wire

Hi Jemsiters,

I'm going to be refretting my practice neck soon with stainless steel. I've done some NS refrets which turned out well. I'm mainly wondering if anyone has had experience with stainless frets and a flat ibanez radius. I bought the wire from LMI, so it's coiled in about a 8" radius. Do I need a fret-bender? I'm not above buying or making the right tools. I've read as much as I can find about the stuff, and MindRiot over on Harmony Central opened up the coil by hand to match a 14" radius. I need a 16" radius. Compared to the NS, this stainless stuff is really really stiff and tough, so I'm looking for suggestions.

I have been doubting and putting off my refret since I read the recent thread where all the frets popped up in the middle:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/do...ight=stainless

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Re: Process to radius coiled stainless wire

nobody eh? Well I'm thinking of chickening out and doing evo gold instead, which is still much harder than NS, but easier to work with than SS. I will have to save the 20 bucks of stainless wire for a later date

A
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Just over bend it to a radius tighter than what you need, then when you install it--it spreads in the slot.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:00 PM

this what you need but it is a little expensive.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...xst=3&xsr=7963

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. Have either of y'all done an SS install and can comment on the differences??? I'm quite familiar with the NS process. My trolling leads me to believe that over-radiusing can lead to the fret popping up in the middle, as I linked to above. The fretbender can't 'unbend' wire. So you're suggesting hand straighten the wire, then use the fretbender? I'd thought of that, but it seems a little like overkill. Also stewmac really only sells tools for NS wire. Who knows if that thing's plastic crank and brass roller can hold up to something like SS with a much higher elastic modulus.

Either way, I'm reconsidering the SS in stall for Evo as I already posted.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by andrewgosline; 10-28-2011 at 09:51 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Reviews: 17

Please show the process of your re-fret
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Sure thing
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Reviews: 17

Excellent ! Looking forward to it
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Unlike nickel silver, the radius of stainless steel wire needs to match the fingerboard. It isn't as soft as ns and will not conform to the fingerboard radius. A shop I worked at bought a pound of it in straight lengths from Allparts or Stew Mac and used it to fret a new build. It was the one and only time it was used, and we had all of the right tools. That tube of wire now rests in a corner somewhere in the shop. I guess some people don't want to go through the learning curve it requires.

Tags
refretting , stainless steel frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode