Project Guitar-adding wood to neck pocket - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Project Guitar-adding wood to neck pocket

Hi. I'm new to the group but have read great responses to posts for years. Thanks first of all for a great forum site!

I have a project guitar that I bought a new neck for. The neck is the perfect size in width but in thickness, its about an 1/8 of an inch too thin. So what I mean by that is, when the neck is mounted, the top-mount Floyd Rose unit has an additional 1/8" to the action - just making it unplayable because the action is seriously too high even with the Floyd down as low as it goes (The Floyd Rose, by the way is Top Mounted with no recess route - like the old Kramers).

The body has already been painted and I don't want to risk damaging the nice paint job by taking a router to it and recessing for the Floyd to get it lower and compensate for the 1/8" of height. But the thought of gluing a piece of wood into the neck pocket doesn't appeal to me either because (at least as folklore seems to say) this will effect the tone of the "joint" between the bolt-on neck and the neck pocket.

Is it considered "ok" to glue an 1/8" piece of wood into the neck pocket and risk a small loss in tonal transfer OR is it better to risk scarring the body and routine a Floyd Rose recess?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM

Re: Project Guitar-adding wood to neck pocket

It's ok and is done all the time. You just need to use some care and make sure it fits correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode