Pros help me out with my rg550! I need to get rid of scarfs! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Pros help me out with my rg550! I need to get rid of scarfs!

Hi, All.
I bought a 90's RG550 a while ago and I want to make it look more refined as the original owner didn't really take good care of it. Some areas are badly scarfed and scratched, the front looks okay, nothing major that I'd mind too much, the back is a bit scratchy as well. The worst areas are inside the curves where the horns are. I really want to remove the scarfs as its very irratating seeing them. Its not to the wood. but the thing is I'm thinking I'll sand right through the clear into the paint becuase the scarfs does look pretty deep compared to normal scratchs. I took some photos to show everyone insde the horns.
Also what grade of sand paper would you suggest for me to start with,
I read on ProjectGuitar to start with 2000#, isn't that a bit thin? The scarfs are pretty rough and do look worse then the pics have shown.
I would also like some tips on how to do this, as this is my first time and I'm a complete newb. Is is possiable to only do parts of the body?
Or would I have to sand down the whole thing.
Also not sure which kind of polishing compund I should be using, are there anything thats cheaper and does the job?, the good stuff are pretty expensive.
Thanks , anything would be greatly appreciated.

here are links to pics,
http://community.webshots.com/user/shihku

its under the rg550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

anyoen???
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:24 AM

What do you mean by 'scarfs'?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Vendor

I imagine you means scratches because "scarf" doesn't relate.

If you try sanding through a deep scratch you'll also sand through the top layer of clearcoat and end up with fog/blend lines everywhere you go through it, which isn't going to look any better than the scratches. Sanding is only good for very light scratches that won't catch a fingernail, unless you're doing a refin.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

sorry for my bad english,
so what should i be doing here do you think?
just leave it alone? or is anyways to fix this?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 01:30 PM

If you have bad scratches and scrapes that aren't down to the wood, sanding them will only make them look worse. If they really bother you that much, you could try filling them with CA glue (super-glue) and then sanding them smooth. Since the guitar is already beaten up, it might be a good opportunity to try fixing finish blemishes like this. It's not like you can make it look much worse.

While i like my guitars to look pretty pristine, i think wounds and battle scars that occur in the line of duty add character.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Vendor

I'd just polish it as is and not try anything too fancy. Taking the whiteish look out of the blems and making them shine again will go a long way to making it more acceptible.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

battle scars I didn;t make dosen;t really count,
but i figured, I think i'll just leave the way it is and play hell out of it :P
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 08:15 AM

I think the word you're looking for is "scuff."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

okay thats it, scuff,
thats it
thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 11:08 PM

So, you have an RG550. It's getting a little old looking, paint's starting to chip and wear. You could get it painted, or you could harken back to the days of drooling at Vai in Guitar magazine with his burnt-look guitar.

When I was maybe 13, all I wanted was a Jem with a handle, because, well, it had a handle. And handles were cool. (I also wanted a pink one with neon pickups.. thank god I grew out of that).

Anyways, a little lighter fluid, some paint, plenty of beers and a $250 trip to the luthier for intonation and rewiring later, I have my own personalized 550BQ, fresh off the, erm, grille.

Pics do it poor justice, it actually looks (imho) pretty slick in person.

Probably not what you're looking to do... But just letting you know that "light it on fire" is always an option.

Tags
guitar mag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode