Proyect - Strip an RG270 using chemicals/Sanding - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Proyect - Strip an RG270 using chemicals/Sanding

Hi, iīm starting my project changing the finish on a RG270 ive got recently. Its de 1995 the one with the maple neck.

I started sanding down the finish, but after an hour got tired and realized ii`ve achieved the 15% of the job... so i decided to try chemical stripping. I`ve readed the tutorial on projectguitar.com about all the methods on stripping the finish, and i`ve seen stripping with chemichals the factory finish isnīt the best method (but i didnīt knew why until now).

Iīve started with a body with the translucent finish off (by sanding like i said), after the 5th coat of paint remover (and about 2-3 hours half an hour between each coat) it started to came off a littel bit (as i said now i know why the factory finish should be stripped by other method)... but the color started to come out... and what i see its the primer (i think) i havent seen wood yet.

I`m still in progress ill let you know how it goes tomorrow... here are some pics

i`m not shure wich finish it will have... i`m between tung oil with veener (2 tones finish top clear back dark or something like that and to change the hardware to gold... or something like the jem10 (the strange black one there is a product for boats and trucks that looks alike)... weel see...

ANY IDEAS??

before

after the sanding and 1 coat of chemical stripp

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 10:42 AM

Re: Proyect - Strip an RG270 using chemicals/Sanding

The fastest way I can think of to strip down one of those is a heat gun. Mind you, the part that chemical strippers have a hard time with is really the clearcoat than anything else. Good luck with your project.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 11:24 AM

i tried stripping off my yamaha pac012 (its in red), the laquer came off very easily, the red paint also came off easily, but after that, there is a silver coating, which it seems to be impossible to strip off with the chemical, wonder what is that?
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

yes its right the problem is the clear coat... is hard as rock... the parts where there is only paint (tremolo routing in example) comes very easy... but i have to say after 5 coats of paint remover it started to come a little bit... i think about 8 to 10 would do it, but i dont have so much patience, so i grabbed the sand paper and started the sanding again... it was easy (sort of).. in about half an hour i had the front of the body sanded... i think the chemicals helped... ill post some pics later...

about the silver coat that jing says in his yamaha pacifica, it is on my RG too... i think is the primer they apply to the body before painting it...

cheers... back to sanding
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:18 AM

I've heard some people will cover the guitar with paint remover and seal it up in a garbage bag for a couple of days. Supposedly that will get the job done. I just stripped an RG with a heat gun and it was easy.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

well the problem with the heat gun for me is that in venezuela you cant buy it in the store next to you, and they are expensive... thats why im doing it by other methods..

well like i said, the proyect is doing fine, i stripped the front and a side in the guitar, here are the pics... i sttopped because i ran out of sand paper and got tired too ..

Finally!!!! some wood

the top is done

the side too... got tired

cheers
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 10:59 AM

Cool, looks like you have a fairly nice peice of wood too. No knots or anything. Good job.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

new advance... about an hour and a half it went harder....

this is the advance... the inside parts are harder than what i though...

here is a preview of how it could look, im starting to think abpout leavnig it natural or with a bit of translucent yellow... we`ll see...

thanks

the weekend is over, back to work on monday

Last edited by jlander; 02-19-2006 at 09:56 PM.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:57 PM

Reviews: 1

Looks like it's going well. Nice job!
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

more work...

i hope another day and the paint is removed... only left the final sanding 400 1000 1500 sand paper for finish...

then to decide what to do with the finish???

see ya
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 09:57 AM

Awesome... im in the middle of doing the same thing to a japanese Jackson thats been refinished...

only problem is whoever did the refin sucks, and it seems they painted over the original paint, so i have a ****load of sanding ahead of me before i see alder... (and damn it damn better be alder as its supposed to be )
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:52 PM
rgr

Do you have a sander or are you doing it by hand? Props to you if you are doing it by hand. BTW, 220 grit is smooth enough before the finish, no need to go even go to 400. Fo final sanding after the finish, that's where you use the really fine grades.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 02:30 PM

I used a RG270 as my first swirl project. I was suprised by the grain that was on it.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 06:36 PM

What kind of trem does it have on it?
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

ok, im doing it by hand... thats why its taking so long.. but im having a good time doing it... (but wont do it again by hand...).. it has a single locking ibanez floyd... it sucks let me tell you... ill change it later... as it is my backup guitar this proyect can take long... do you know why it cant stay in tune?? are the locking nuts?? the floyd?? both?? if i change it will work with the same nuts??

still wondering on what finish to use... any suggestions????

cheers

Tags
clear coat , edge bridge , locking nut , locking nuts , maple neck , swirl project , tung oil , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode