PRS se tremolo bridge replacement - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb PRS se tremolo bridge replacement

i have a PRS SE Custom 22 with PAF joe and mojoe on neck and bridge . i also installed sperzel locking tuners . right now i am planning to change the the tremolo bridge and the nut (the guitar gets out of tune if i use the tremolo) . i am looking forward to a wilkinson tremolo bridge and graph tech nut. i need suggestion on which will be the best options ... ... please !!!! :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: PRS se tremolo bridge replacement

I would do the nut, and then decide if you need a new bridge. It might work fine with the improved nut.

You might also want to look into an improved tremolo sustain block, in either steel or brass.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

i am going for a Black Tusq graphite nut and a full contact tremolo bridge (6 screw) ... will that be fine ??
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:29 AM

A properly cut bone nut will sound better, last longer and perform better than the graphtek.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
A properly cut bone nut will sound better, last longer and perform better than the graphtek.
Thats surprising to hear, Graphtech market Tusq as a synthetic bone substitute with SUPERIOR tonal properties to normal bone nuts. And its not some wishy washy claim that can't be nailed down to one meaning either, they make multiple references to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=1
If you have an acoustic or vintage guitar, you owe it to yourself to hear the difference a TUSQ nut, saddle and bridge pins make. Compared to standard materials such as bone, micarta or corian, you'll hear more harmonics with every note you play when you use TUSQ on your guitar.

TUSQ has quickly become an important tone performance tool for some of the world's most renowned guitar manufacturers, luthiers and playing professionals. TUSQ nuts and saddles have rich tone and sustain, without the inconsistency found in ivory, bone and other natural materials. Bone and ivory have hard and soft spots (grain) throughout each piece, hampering consistent transfer of vibrations to the guitar top. TUSQ nuts, saddles and bridge pins are designed to transfer the right frequencies more efficiently from the string to the guitar body. Acoustic guitars come alive!

Rich Tone: a crystal clear bell like high end and big open low end.
Engineered for maximum vibration transfer.
Consistent quality from piece to piece and within each piece.
Easy to work with - can be filed and sanded; will not chip or flake
Laboratory-proven to enhance harmonic content (up to 200%)
Used by the world's finest guitar manufacturers.
No flat or dead spots that can be found in bone or ivory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.graphtech.com/kbase.html?ArticleID=9
What is TUSQ made of?

TUSQ is a proprietary material which is precision engineered under high pressure and heat. It is specifically formulated to deliver the right frequencies with the optimum transfer rate to the top of your guitar every time. Because of the way TUSQ is made, it is a consistent material that is rich in tone and harmonic content.

How is TUSQ different from any other material (bone, micarta, and corian) used in nuts and saddles?

TUSQ is a very resonant material. This resonance alone will give you a very full and deep sound that will amplify your tone to a whole new level. Secondly, it's a consistent material, allowing every note you play to sound just as clear and full as the next. In comparison, bone has natural grains which cause dead spots. These dead spots damp balance in tone and harmonic content. Micarta is made partially from linen and paper scraps which makes it hard to work with while corian is nice to work with but also damps sound.

Can I modify TUSQ to fit my guitar?

Due to TUSQís consistency it is extremely easy to work with. You can easily modify it with fine grit sandpaper or other commonly used shaping tools.

What if the strings start to dig into the slots?

If youíre experiencing any kind of binding you can easily fold a piece of 200 Grit sand paper and sand the notch off. Again, being a consistent material you can file/sand the nut/saddle and you will still be working with the same quality material.

What does TUSQ sound like on an electric guitar?

In comparison to our String Saver saddles, you will notice a peak in the 1K range with TUSQ saddles. You will hear your guitar reaching noticeably higher frequencies. Simply put, you will get a slightly brighter sound and increased harmonic content.

Does TUSQ have Teflon in it?

No, TUSQ does not have Teflon in it. If youíre looking for lubricated nuts, consider our Black TUSQ XL nuts which are impregnated with Teflon.

Which manufacturers use TUSQ on their guitars?

To see a list of all the major guitar manufactures that are using TUSQ products on their guitars click here.

What If I have an under the saddle pick up?

TUSQ is a great way to balance those strings for maximum output and string to string balance. Also, we carry microbalance saddles which give you the option of notching out a groove to configure the output of each string.

How do I know if your bridge pins will fit my guitar?

We make two pin sizes which are available in numerous color and dot configurations. The vast majority of guitars will fit our Traditional sized Martin style pins, while some guitars such as Taylor, Art & Lutherie, Seagull, Norman, Simon and Patrick, Godin, Composite Acoustics, and some Larrivee models will fit our narrower shaft Presentation style pin.

Will TUSQ bridge pins improve my tone?

It depends on who you ask! Some of our customers feel that bridge pins do nothing for tone; they buy them just for their beautiful appearance to complement their instrument. Other people will tell you they make a huge difference. We will defer to one of the highest profile quality guitar manufacturers in the United States, who wrote in an unsolicited assessment that TUSQ bridge pins "contribute to a discernable improvement in tone". TUSQ pins are very light, rigid, and resonant and therefore do not damp the string vibration. Most people will find that their guitar has a more lively sound especially in the bottom end where the most energy is needed to create movement in the guitar body. A little test is to pluck a string and listen. Then pluck it again while holding tightly to the bridge pin with your fingers...you'll hear the difference. Another thing to remember is that the vibration of the string doesn't stop at the saddle; it, in fact, vibrates in a teeter totter motion over top of the saddle terminating at the pin. If a pin is not made of a resonant material then a lot of energy is dampened before it gets to the body of the guitar.

Are Graph Tech products guaranteed?

All our products carry the Graph Tech Iron-Clad Guarantee. You must be satisfied. When you purchase most products they come with a full 45 Day Money-Back Guarantee. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied, you may return your purchase, in good condition, within 45 days for a complete refund of your purchase price. This does not cover normal wear and tear from use. ResoMax and ghost products are guaranteed for 1 year against manufacturing defects. Again, this does not cover normal wear and tear from normal use. Shipping charges, if applicable, are not included.

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 09-28-2011 at 12:23 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Plus you don't have to pay a tech to shape and cut a piece of bone for ya!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM

I recently aquired a PRS SE Singlecut Tremolo and have done some upgrades as puting SD 59's and a graphite nut. The guitar stays in tune after hard using the tremolo bar, even without locking tuning machines. But I really would like to upgrade its sustain block to a solid brass one, but i'm not sure if any of the Guitar Fetish will fit. The other possibility would be put a PRS USA Tremolo bridge in its place. Is that possible without a major mod? I did this upgrade in two other guitar tremolo bridges and experienced a bit of an improvement on sustain and tone.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

nah no major modification is needed.. the USA one will fit in perfectly !!!! i installed a FCH Strat Tremolo with Graphtech black tusq nut in my SE Custom !!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 AM

Thanks, I checked the measures in my Fender Strato USA and it looks very compatible.

Update:

Important: GFS USA brass block does not fit in my PRS SE Singlcut Trem bridge!

Well, a bit compatible they are, but I've found a much better option: KGC brass blocks!

And the compatibility is a bit tricky too, as I discovered since 2009 the Fender AmStd guitars use this 2 pivot trem that has the same spaces as import guitar, but retain the tremolo arm hole size and place. So no one of the GFS blocks seems to fit well. Only ones I've found? Callaham's and KGC. Although Callaham's only made them of steel.

Last edited by Alex Frias; 02-11-2012 at 03:03 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 PM

Well, I decided to try the KGC brass sustain block and, after waiting a lomg time for them to build and ship it, it arrived. Their work is superb! A real improvement in sound and a bit more sustain. I think the rest of the bridge is ok, so I will keep it as it is with this new block. Then I put a graphite nut and black satin Sperzels locking tuners. I gig with this guitar with no harm!

Tags
graph tech , modded , nut , prs guitar custom se 22 , tremolo bridge wilkinson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode