Pull Trem Up = Out of tune, WHY?! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Pull Trem Up = Out of tune, WHY?!

ok....i need to ask someone this. im on the verge of spending vast amounts of cash to make those ****ing suits at Ibanez Happy. I'm a lefty player, and as you all know, leftys dont really get **** for guitars. they get at best a mid range offer, in black only great

i was lucky enough to find an ESP LTD M-207 thats right, a seven string for a lefty. im ****ing happy with it. but theres a problem. i like to play satriani and vai songs a lot, meaning i require a good bridge! so WHY OH WHY does my trem (i dont want any idiots going BECAUSE EDGE IS BEST...i want a good explanation) stay perfectly in tune no matter how brutal the divebomb, but when i pull up, it tunes up by like 2 semitones? i mean what the hell does the edge have that my edge clone doesnt...i need an explanation from someone who knows this system inside out!!! thanks in advance!!!

maybe one day, ill be able to do those screaming harmonics introducing the tender surrender solo, and keep in tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 06:16 AM

Re: Pull Trem Up = Out of tune, WHY?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyTurtleHead
...i dont want any idiots going BECAUSE EDGE IS BEST...i want a good explanation...
an idiot could never recognize that the Edge is the best. anyway, there's not much to say, your trem is a cheap trem, this means that it's been poorly designed and realized with cheap materials. the Edge is way more solid, more consistent, the baseplate and the saddles were built with molten steel, unlike your trem which is a bent plate, basically.
also, the Edge posts have Stud-Locks that provide stability to the posts themselves, then to the trem. and don't forget the springs quality.

anyway, click on the Ibanez Rules banner, that's the place to start for these kind of issues.

ps: rule of thumb: stretch the strings!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 06:31 AM
Vendor

The ED/LP/EP baseplate and saddles are actually cast spelter [pot metal] but the knives are heat treated forged steel.

Typically very sharp return on pull-up problems can be pinpointed to the pivoting system [studs/anchors/knives], you've either got binding or movement there. And no, I don't know a thing about your trem
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 01:34 PM

I have a question about pull up and out of tune strings for Rich, so I thought I'd piggyback on this thread.

I have a new RG1570 with an Edge Pro on it and I seem to be having some issues with the strings going sharp (way more than 5 cents) after a decent pull up on the bar. I have new, fully stretched strings (.10s) and the guitar has been setup properly. My action is as low as possible, but not stupidly low and the trem at neutral is set pretty darn flat.

I am pretty much getting a sharp note out of all 6 strings after a pull up... not just one or two. I can easily get it back in tune after a quick dive. Diving in general causes no problems at all... goes back to pitch everytime no matter how retarted I get with it.

I followed Rich's advice on doing multiple pull ups/dives then retuning, etc. I can now pull up and dive 20 times (I quit after 20 ) and after that last dive none of the strings are out of tune... but if I only pull up (just once, even) and don't dive they are all sharp. Does this make sense?

I have a Jackson SL3 Soloist I just bought with a ****ty Jackson lic. Floyd on it and it seems to do much better than my Edge Pro does on the Ibanez. There is something bad wrong here! Crappy Floyds shouldn't be out performing Edge Pros.

I am replacing the Jackson's tremolo with a Floyd Pro, BTW.

Any advice? Is this just normal? Do I need to have the trem posts replaced with ones that have anchor studs? Am I a homosexual?

Thanks for any info!

Ryan

ps
I had the frets leveled, the neck edges beveled and the last four frets scalloped like a Jem. I put a green ToneZone in the bridge, and white Blue Velvet in the middle and a green Hum from Hell in the neck. With green knobs and switch tab from Rich (thanks again dude!), this baby looks ultra cool (body is nickel silver). This is the best sounding/playing guitar I have ever had!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Vendor

Same thing, knives/studs/movement. You can cure the movement with the stud mod but you still have to clean up the knife edges. A little Chapstick will help lube the pivot point too.

Tags
edge pros , frets scalloped , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode