Pulling sharp with edge pro tremolo - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Angry Pulling sharp with edge pro tremolo

Hi i am new to the forum here. I just purchased an RG-3120 darm amber coloer a week ago. It was the last one they had. Since the ibanez jems also have the edge pro and from advice given to me from someone where i got the guitar i bought it. Thing is I am trying to learn some songs from joe satrianis surfing with the alien album. On some of his songs he pulls the bar about 3 1/2 steps sharp and with all my adjusting I can only seem to get a good 1 1/2 steps. This is frustrating me as i sent a carvin back last month becuause a salesman told me it would do what i wanted and it wouldn't!!! What can i do about this? Since this is a discontinued model I can't return it. Will changing it over to different model of tremolo help or is it the way the guitar is routed? I guess if that is the case i wiil have to see a tech in st. louis. I really want to learn some of satchs stuff so i can learn whammy technique. That and he is one of my favorite players. Any help would be apppreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 09:11 AM

Re: Pulling sharp with edge pro tremolo

I've got an Edge Pro trem and i agree that they don't really pull up so much (infact, mine goes up about 1 step before it gets really stiff and i have to push hard down on it to go further - which puts it out of tune)

Only thing i can suggest is... bend the string then whammy it
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 09:43 AM

Interesting, infact, I find than certain guitars with Lo Pro edges pull up further than others, I've got some Jems like that, one goes sharper than the other.

Honest opinion on the Edge Pro then? I haven't tried one yet.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
I've got an Edge Pro trem and i agree that they don't really pull up so much (infact, mine goes up about 1 step before it gets really stiff and i have to push hard down on it to go further - which puts it out of tune)

Only thing i can suggest is... bend the string then whammy it
I put it to thr point of touching the wood and all i get is a stepand a half. I wonder if putting an older ibanez trem would solve my trouble. I get the feeling i am going to have to have it modified.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 10:05 AM

Edge Pro trem is great IMO but i'd prefer it if it had more flutter on it and easier upward bend.

Soon enough i'll try putting my springs in / l \ rather then the straight way it is now and put on a set of 9s instead of my 10s to see if it makes it easier.

The LO-TRS trem on my RG470 is actually (dare i say it) much more stable, better flutter and more up-pull though the downside to it is... It's broken atm because i wore the knife edges
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 10:18 AM

I don't have anything other than Edge's and Lo-Pro's. I guess if I want my RG2550 then I will have an Edge Pro, then I'll make judgement and change it if i want to. In the meanwhile, I would just love a white RG550, I dont think Ibanez made a decent RG in white, unless it was in the 80's if they did, I dont know.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I have 9s' on mine. I guess i should look at all my options. It kind of bims me a little though because i thought this would do it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 07:19 PM

It has more to do with the depth of the trem route than the model of trem. (Just changing to a Lo Pro for instance won't fix it unless you do some routing.) Once it bottoms out, that's as far as it's going. Though you can gain a little more range by using a neck shim to allow a higher bridge, but it probably isn't worth it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb
It has more to do with the depth of the trem route than the model of trem. (Just changing to a Lo Pro for instance won't fix it unless you do some routing.) Once it bottoms out, that's as far as it's going. Though you can gain a little more range by using a neck shim to allow a higher bridge, but it probably isn't worth it.
Unfortunatley that was what i kind of suspected. Oh well i should have bought a jem!!!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:59 PM

...wouldn't a pull up that high break the high E string?...I've never ventured past the whole step pull up....I was a bit wary!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Question Re: Pulling sharp with edge pro tremolo

I checkec this out after another jemsite member said it and its very odd. On the low strings i can pull it up a 5th untill the b string i can go 2 whole steps e string a step and a half. That makes no sense to me what so ever. S i am thinking i may not need to have the trem cavity on my Rg 3120 routed deeper to do what i want, if any not much, just more so routed for fit. That just blows my mind that the edge pro does that.

Tags
edge pro trem , ibanez jem , ibanez trem , joe satriani , low strings , neck shim , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode