putting stainless steel frets on old ibanez guitars - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

putting stainless steel frets on old ibanez guitars

Basically I'm looking for someone to do some stainless steel refrets on a few ibanez guitars. Anyone have it done and it turn out really well? Post links or whatever to who did your refret so I can check them out!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:41 AM

Re: putting stainless steel frets on old ibanez guitars

I had Rauen Guitars put stainless steel frets (6105 Jescar) on my Jem 7vwh. Denny did wonderful, flawless work. Nice guy too. Don't really regret having it done.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:40 PM

Phil from Philtone Guitar in Baltimore, MD, put stainless steel frets on my Strat, and I couldn't be happier. Check out his website:

http://philtone.com/service.html
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 03:55 PM

Reviews: 3

I put also Jescar 6105 on my 7V; the fretwire size for Jescar is not the same as Wamoth's, but they are awesome! I used the same fretwire for a custom guitar I asembled later.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:01 PM

You're right. If I remember, Jescar is the only manufacturer with stainless steel frets and has the same dimensions as what came on the Jem 7v, or Dunlop 6105. I could be wrong, but Dunlop doesn't even make 6105 frets in stainless steel.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 05:12 AM

Warmoth has also stainless steel frets available; I used Jescar because they were what my luthier had available at the time because that fretwire is the best available in his opinion. I let him free to choice and was surprised with the result.

Anyways Jescar measures DIFFER from Warmoth's (wich are the one used on Jems, NOT Dunlop's). 6100 frets WERE Dunlop fretwire but 6105 are Warmoth (see catalog's reference w/6105).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 AM

I always thought Ibanez used Dunlop for their frets. Did they change recently?

The thought that the original frets on my Jem were Dunlop 6105 made me specifically search for a stainless steel equivalent, dimensionally, which is Jescar. Warmoth 6105 is not the same dimensions as either Dunlop or Jescar, and Dunlop doesn't even make the 6105 dimensions in stainless steel that I could find.

Warmoth 6105 (SS): 0.095" x 0.047"
Dunlop 6105 (nickel/silver): 0.090" x 0.055"
Jescar (SS): 0.090" x 0.055"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstack View Post
I always thought Ibanez used Dunlop for their frets. Did they change recently?

The thought that the original frets on my Jem were Dunlop 6105 made me specifically search for a stainless steel equivalent, dimensionally, which is Jescar. Warmoth 6105 is not the same dimensions as either Dunlop or Jescar, and Dunlop doesn't even make the 6105 dimensions in stainless steel that I could find.

Warmoth 6105 (SS): 0.095" x 0.047"
Dunlop 6105 (nickel/silver): 0.090" x 0.055"
Jescar (SS): 0.090" x 0.055"
No, they started in 1993 when 7V was released with 6105 fretwire. They used Dunlop 6100 and 6140 for older models but every Jem loaded with 6105's are Warmoth's. Did my homework several years ago when I wanted to refret my 7V because I was in the same mistake as you. When I noticed that Jescar were different from Warmoth's I was afraid Jescar's changed the feel of the neck, but once installed there was no looking back. Nowadays I prefer Jescar over the originals. When playing unplugged they sound a little more metallic than the nickel ones, it is a subtle change that in tone but I like it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
No, they started in 1993 when 7V was released with 6105 fretwire. They used Dunlop 6100 and 6140 for older models but every Jem loaded with 6105's are Warmoth's. Did my homework several years ago when I wanted to refret my 7V because I was in the same mistake as you. When I noticed that Jescar were different from Warmoth's I was afraid Jescar's changed the feel of the neck, but once installed there was no looking back. Nowadays I prefer Jescar over the originals. When playing unplugged they sound a little more metallic than the nickel ones, it is a subtle change that in tone but I like it.
Haha. Interesting to know this stuff. Wish there were better standards in place. In any event, can't say I'm at all unsatisfied with Jescar 6105 (or should I say 55090?). On my other guitar I have Dunlop 6100 NS .110x.55, or "Jumbo" frets. The feeling is quite different between the two. Prefer the Jescar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode