Question about finish - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Question about finish

I'm going to be stripping the finish off of my RG7620. I heard basswood is a pretty ugly wood so I want to paint the wood a mahagony color. Can I just use regular mahagony colored stain and stain my guitar this color? Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:59 PM

Question about finish

Cory, I stripped the paint on my rg550 and I would not say the wood look ugly but the grain is very very light.

P.S. I hope you enjoy the 7620 as much as I did.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:02 PM

Question about finish

It'll still have the wide grain on it like pine has, but the wood is more dense. *Because you're doing a darker stain over a very yellow wood, I would suggest going with a more dark brown like a walnut color than mahogany because it's possible you'll get a really red colored guitar, rather than the deep mahogany you're looking for.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Question about finish

Thanks guys. What method did you use for stripping your finish? I'm thinking about going the sandpaper way just to play it safe.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:27 PM

Question about finish

I used the sanding method and it's a lot of work.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:13 AM

Question about finish

Yup, sanding builds character (for you, not the guitar). *Make sure to wear a dust mask and get comfortable 'cause it will take a while.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 02:01 AM

Question about finish

Sanding becomes very difficult around the cutaways let me tell you, you'll be spending a lot of time on it. However, it is definitely worth it. I haven't done this to my 7620, but I've done to a Strat that I owned where the body was in fairly rough shape. To say the least it was a drastic improvement!

I also coincidentally used an Antique walnut finish & oil on the Strat, and it was the perfect color I was looking for. Comparing the two guitars I think it would nicely suite the 7620.

Good luck! (Buy a good sander and partical mask for harmful dusts)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 04:13 AM

Question about finish

Be sure to use a stainable wood sealor as well before you start to stain it because any freshly sanded wood will act like a spong without it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 01:51 PM

Question about finish

Quote:
Quote: from becalvert on 3:13 am on June 7, 2001
Be sure to use a stainable wood sealor as well before you start to stain it because any freshly sanded wood will act like a spong without it.
Try Rustin's grain sealer/wood stopper (can't remember what it's called.
It also comes in different colours to slightly tint the wood as it seals the grain...i.e. mahogany colour, natural etc....which should lend a better overall tint to your finish stain.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode