Question about saddles on an Edge trem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Aja

Question about saddles on an Edge trem

I just got an Ibanez S540LTD, and the trem (an Edge) was pretty dirty, so I took it off to clean it and change the strings. I took off the saddles, but afterwards I noticed that on the underside of four of the saddles, there was a backing plate of sorts (something to keep those little metal cubes from falling through) and two that had no plate. I assume this is because of the height difference in the saddle positions, but I don't know where to put the two "see-throughs" (the ones with no backing plate). In which positions do they go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 03:11 AM

The saddles have the same height. Height difference for the radius is done by the baseplate. AFAIR that brass plate is there to prevent the cube go in too deep when the instrument is not stringed.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Aja

I know the saddles are the same height. I guess I should've phrased it differently. Two of my saddles do not have the plate underneith. Is this a defect, or are they removed to compensate for the height of the baseplate, somehow? If so, where do they go?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 06:42 AM

you can glue them back, or you can even keep them off. i usually keep them off, when it happens. they get string-blocks positioning easier because the string-block sits down at a certain height, so that the string-block screw will find the whole right where it's supposed to be.

it happens, no fear.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Vendor

In other words, they break off
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 04:16 PM

They are unneccessary, but the one problem I have found is that when you're stringing it, you can put too much string in there, so that when you go to fine tune sharp it interferes with the smoothness of the tuning because there's excess string under there that's bending. As for the blocks, though, they won't fall through so long as the bolt is in the positioning hole.

So I'll usually hold the back bolt all the way down, or turn the fine tuner all the way sharp when I put the string in there. That way I know I'll have clearance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode