Question about String Tension! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Question about String Tension!

OK hey guys, so I have a Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string guitar I just purchased, it's a really great guitar.

Well, I have 9-42+54 on Bflat (one-half step down from standard) and the strings have a bit of slack.

Would getting the 9 strings AGAIN, but getting the hybrid "heavy bottom", i.e. 9-46+56 give it more tension? Or will this not affect it at all?

I mean, the guitar is so good, that, I don't even have buzz. It's just the strings feel too slacky, not so much on the thicker strings, but def. on the high E string.

I could always try 10's let me know pleaseeeee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Re: Question about String Tension!

Just step up a gauge, it will also improve the tone drastically. 56 is WAY to little IMO for a top B. I use slightly larger than that for my E string.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

See, I always found the tone difference vs. string gauge to be negligible. I think the majority comes from the hands and amp.

I'm willing to try it though, but...

My main question is simply, will the 9-46+56 hybrid 7 string set have MORE tension in Bflat tuning than the 9-42+54 string set??

Obviously the only difference is the .42,.54 strings vs the .46,.56 strings on the heavy end??

Because I don't want to buy the 9-46+56 strings and have them feel just like the 9-42+54's I have here on now...
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Reviews: 2

Yes, it will obviously increase tension, but the difference will be minor and barely noticeable.

Like musikron said...go to 10's and you'll solve your problem. I've also heard a lot of complaints about the hybrid heavy bottoms......... and I use EB strings almost exclusively.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Interesting.

I worked on my pick attack so it is very light. and my action is medium-low.

but I might try those 10's. Hopefully they aren't that bad at bending though, I like the bendability of 9's alot.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract_noise View Post
It's just the strings feel too slacky, not so much on the thicker strings, but def. on the high E string.
If it's the fine strings that feel too slack why would you go with a heavioer set that had the same fine strings.

1/2 step down, 1 gauge up.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: Question about String Tension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If it's the fine strings that feel too slack why would you go with a heavioer set that had the same fine strings.

1/2 step down, 1 gauge up.
Oh. thanks Rich. I will heed your advice, since your a trusted name around here.

The ONLY reason I wanted the hybrid set, is because I figured the heavier gauge on the low strings might add more tension to the 9 strings (fine strings) etc...

It feels good now, I mean, if you have good light pick attack, the guitar feels perfect.

I guess it's my personal preferance

And it sucks too, because the guitar tech charged me 60$ to setup this 7 string to Bflat with these 9 strings, so I will have to pay 60$ again if I want 10s
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Vendor

Or you should learn to do it yourself.

The 009 could care less if you have a 072 on the bottom, it's responsible for it's own pitch and will only be at the tension needed for that pitch.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
And it sucks too, because the guitar tech charged me 60$ to setup this 7 string to Bflat with these 9 strings, so I will have to pay 60$ again if I want 10s
No it will not, because you're going to man up and learn to do it yourself.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
No it will not, because you're going to man up and learn to do it yourself.
Lol, I used to do it myself all the time. Adjusting the truss rod, action, intonation, what have you.

It's just time consuming, and I'm a Pharmacy student full time and work part-time so have little time to play my guitar let alone set it up....

...Besides, I'm a firm believer that if you want to do something in life, you focus on that one goal; if you want to play guitar and rock out, you don't waste time on the tech stuff..there's guitar techs for that....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
...Besides, I'm a firm believer that if you want to do something in life, you focus on that one goal; if you want to play guitar and rock out, you don't waste time on the tech stuff..there's guitar techs for that....
Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Vai, and quite a few more. These guys were all VERY big into their guitar tech. I know I personally became a better player just after reading Rich's tech section on his site. Learning the tech side lets you tailor your instrument to you, not to what some tech thinks might be right. A prime example is yet another tech/musician Yngwie Malmsteen, he plays with his action absurdly high and with very deeply scalloped frets (which he did himself). No tech in a billion years would set up someone's guitar like that unless you specifically told them to, and even then it will probably still be wrong.

As for string tension questions, use http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/
It's amazing. It's how I found my holy grail strings.
In case anyone's interested, they're DR Tite-Fit guages .010, .013, .017, .030, .042, .056 for E standard. The low strings have about 6 lbs more tension than the high strings. This is perfect for me as I have a very aggressive rhythm pick attack, but not so much for lead. I also calculated out sets for many tunings based on the tension those strings give. I'd say it's a good idea, except for a Bb with the tension I want I'd need an .080, have fun getting that through your bridge and tuning head.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode