question about "Tung oil" or similar... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

question about "Tung oil" or similar...

I just sanded and steel-wooled a neck, and it feels perrrrfect... now, id like to "finish" it with something for protection, but without loosing the smooth feel... So, after reading some threads it seems "Tung oil" is what im looking for, but the problem is, i have no clue what "tung oil" is

So my question is, does anyone know what it is, or how is it called in spanish? or, what similar products can be used for the same effect?

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 11:33 PM

Tengo la misma Pregunta que tu.

For English speakers, here is translated!.

You now what, i have the same question i live in Mexico, and i dont know how is called in spanish, and i need it too.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 11:42 AM

Use a search engine and you can find anything you want. It's also called "china wood oil" but tung oil is actually the name of the stuff.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:00 PM

What does it mean to 'steal-wool' a neck? I'm about to touch up the finish on a neck repair job and I'm curious! I was just gonna sand it but now it seems like there are more steps....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 09:56 PM

I believe that it comes from a nut. I recently built a guitar, from Warmoth parts, using a Tung oil finish. Strat style maple neck, and a Koa Soloist style body. She's bee-you-tee-full!

Make sure what you're buying is pure Tung oil, though. Most of the stuff you see in stores is mixed with solvents, or urethane. Nothing really wrong with that, but I'm just saying to watch what you buy, if you want a pure Tung oil finish.

Bobojem- You'll use very fine steel wool, to "sand" the finish, in between coats. Extremely fine sand paper works, too, but I prefer the steel wool.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 09:59 PM

Oh, and by the way, oil is very easy to apply. I mean... even I was able to do it, without screwing it up! Just wipe it on, let it dry, and sand. Just make sure to wear rubber gloves.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 10:00 PM

hey man, thanks, i actually figured it out when i saw a pack of 'steel-wool' in a store. It was like an epiphany...it came quite obvious what it was for. Just didn't know those were called steel wool, stupid me. I just finished the back of my jem's neck with tung oil. I don't know if its pure or not but it looks pretty good and feels awesome. I'm happy
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 10:07 PM

Not stupid at all! Glad it turned out nicely!

I actually used a gloss polyurethane Tung oil mixture, to provide a bit more protection, and used steel wool to bring it back to a nice satin finish. It's still a pretty light finish, though.

(I used the gloss, because the satin poly has a powder in it to achieve the satin look, and it can obscure the wood grain. I wasn't having any of that on this piece of Koa! Using the gloss completly avoided this, and turned out perfectly!)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:41 AM

When i was in the store, they had high gloss and low gloss finish tung oil. I bought the low gloss 'cause i thought the finish on the back of my neck was low gloss, but then it turns out the original finish was a little more glossy than the low gloss...so i had to sand down the whole neck...no problem though...the original finish needed a face lift anyways. Perhaps this is a little off topic but i also cleaned the fretboard and i couldn't seem to get it 100% clean, esp around the frets...i used tooth brush, even an electric one and some wood cleaning solution but couldn't get it...is it normal or just cuz i haven't cleaned it in a while? i might have to wait til i refrett the board to do the rest of the cleaning...and just wondering, do you guys know if there was any finish on the rosewood board of jems or was it raw? thanks
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 07:13 AM

Rosewood fingerboards are only oiled. Don't use the tung oil on it, though. Get some (pure)lemon oil, or rosewood oil. Stay away from furniture polish, since it has things in it that can loosen your frets.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:09 AM

I used rubber gloves the first few times I tung oiled my 7620's nec, but lately I just stopped bothering- it's not too hard to get off your hands when it's done.

You don't want to apply tung oil over your neck's finish- you want to sand it down to bare wood and then apply the tung oil, as it's supposed to be a penetrating finish. Then you sand it back down again until it's essentially down to bare wood, just bare wood with the pores protected by tung oil. At least, this is my understanding, that you're not trying to build up a coat... correct?

Also, in my experience you're probably going to want a new coat every 6 months or so.

I LOVE the feel of a tung oiled neck, but especially with a 7-string in new england's notoriously shifty climate, you have to accept thefact that, as the wood is no logner 100% sealed, you will be doing at least one new setup a season, if not more- there are definite shifts corresponding to humidity changes, as the (essentially) bare wood is much more responsive to climate changes. I think my next 7, I'll just leave the finish on- it's a little tackier, but hopefully will be more stable.

-D
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 10:30 AM

You don't HAVE to sand it all down; You can build up a nice finish with it, as well.

I prefer a nice satin finish on my necks, as opposed to only oiling them, just for the reasons you described. This way, the neck still feels nice and smooth, but it's sealed.

These are just things I've learned in my VERY limited experience with these types of things, so take them for what they're worth.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Yah, i ended up ordering it online, shippin costs me twice the oil , but oh well ... if it lasts in its bottle, ill have tung oil for more guitars than ill ever own or work on...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 12:11 PM
RCB

Mariano, cualquier pintureria grande lo tiene. No me acuerdo el nombre comercial, pero si se consigue. Creo que lo que tenes que pedir es un sellador para maderas si no me equivoco. En cualquier ebanisteria te pueden decir que podes usar. Si no, podes tratar de ubicar al flaco de RAM que seguro sabe (trbaja en una de las casas de musica del centro). El otro que puede saber, aunque no se si sea muy colaborativo es Fanta, que se puso un taller de custom mades sobre Bartolome Mitre, al lado de Mannys.

Te digo como para que no gastes guita al pedo en el envio, antes averigua con estos tipos.

Te mando un abrazo

PD: como anduvo la JPM?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

just so that our english speaking friends here dont get mad... i walked around like stupid and the best anyone seemed to come up with (even a guy at Fanta's) was linseed oil... most looked at me like this -> when i asked a lil...

anyway, its not thaaaat much it was 7 bucks the bottle and 20 bucks shippin, but its ok, ill make the money back selling that guitar anyway, and ill have oil to spare...

Y la JPM anda barbaro!!!

Tags
maple neck , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard , steel wool , strat style , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode