Question on building guitar body - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Question on building guitar body

Hello JEMsiters, need a quick question. I am currently taking a Wood class and finally decided on building a guitar body for the final project and use Ibanez parts for the hardware, neck, etc (got a beat to sh*t rg550 lying around). The thing is though that I have never done anything like this before. It's not going to be anything complicated. Single bridge humbucker, edge bridge, nothing too fancy. The thing is I don't want to spend any money on this so I decided to use some of the Pinewood (eww, yeah I know, but this is just going to be a learning experience anyway). My experience with Pinewood so far is that it splinters VERY easily. Will I have problems with structural integrity because of this? I mainly use girly 8's, so I don't think there would that much terrible stress on the neck joint. Plus I plan on tuning the thing to like Eb or even D (feel safer with D) Any structural integrity problems there?

Oh if you're wondering, it's based on the guitar Micheal Angelo uses in the "Speed Kills" video introduction with a sheet aluminum top. I'll try to post up conceptual drawings soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:23 PM

Reviews: 1
if you are going to go through all that trouble, you may as well invest a little bit of cash and buy a body blank. They are cheap if you get something like basswood or alder. Pine is very soft and will more than likely crack/break if you drop it. This may be a learning experience but you might just end up liking the finished product and then realize that you put all that effort into a POS hunk of wood. Check out Warmoth. I believe they sell blanks.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , edge bridge , guitar body , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode