Question: Drilling a Newer Ibby Neck for Rear-Mount Locking Nut - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Question: Drilling a Newer Ibby Neck for Rear-Mount Locking Nut

I have an '07 RG1527RB that's pretty beat up, frets and fretboard played to hell, etc. so I'm having a local guitar builder give it a complete makeover: new paint, fretboard swap (rosewood for maple), and all-chrome hardware.

That last part...

So, the RG1527 neck has the top-mount locking nut. I've always preferred the rear-mount version, plus the rear-mount version was all I could find in chrome. Kind of a win-win.

Any pointers (or schematics/blueprints out there) on making this modification? Anyone done it? As I said, a local guitar builder will be doing this for me. Should I just set back and be confident that they know what the hell they're doing, or are there any pointers/info I can give them?

As I've learned, even the best shops/tech/luthiers don't always understand some of the nuances of Ibanez guitars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Re: Question: Drilling a Newer Ibby Neck for Rear-Mount Locking Nut

I've been doing a lot of research (including reading past posts on this topic here on Jemsite), and I'm going to answer my own post (but please feel free to chime in here).

I'm concluding that modifying my 1527 neck to rear-mount this nut is... let's just say... precarious. I'd be literally drilling two bolt holes directly on either side of the truss rod, and that seems... well... odd.

So, I'm going to explore options OTHER than rear-mounting this Ibanez nut. I'll see if the shop can either counter-sink the existing screw holes on the top, or I might just order a generic Floyd nut instead.

OR, I could stick with the existing Cosmo base, and use chrome pressure pads so that it still KINDA sticks to the "all chrome and white" aesthetic I'm after (think white JS2400).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:11 PM

I'd just stick to the existing cosmo base, with the chrome pressure pads its going to be barely unnoticeable, also the allen screws are going to be black anyway.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:53 PM
PCG

It isn't rocket science but I would be very wary unless your builder is properly set up to do it (and has done it before). Things can go wrong really fast, and while it's only wood that is being worked with and completely repairable, the headache just wouldn't be worth it if builder is learning on your neck.

It's a real shame that Ibanez has gone to top mount nuts. The corporate bean counters likely figured less rejects in the factory from a less complicated operation outweighs long term tuning stability for their customers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode