Question for Rich re: Trem Springs - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Question for Rich re: Trem Springs

This is basically for Rich, but I'll take any advice. I have 2 RG750's.

They both have Edge Trems on them, both float, stay in tune etc etc.

But, on one of them, it has a very nice spongy, floaty feel. Very smooth, flutters really well with any of the 3 bars I have on it and it NEVER goes out of tune, and it sets up easily with new strings. It's everything you could want in a floating trem.

The other, well, I have to use a heavier bar to get it to flutter and while it works well, I sometime feels like I'm fighting it. And it's more prone to stick flat or sharp after trem use.

I'm thinking it's the springs or possibly the posts, but they look pretty good. Is there a way to distinguish springs from one another? Are there diffrent ones with different tensions etc?

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Vendor

There could be many things affecting the return to pitch, covered here

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm

As for springs they come from many different makers, in many sizes and strengths. They also get fatigued and when they are they feel great and create the easiest guitar to bend strings on. Swap the springs from the one to the other and see if that's the difference in feel.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
There could be many things affecting the return to pitch, covered here

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm

As for springs they come from many different makers, in many sizes and strengths. They also get fatigued and when they are they feel great and create the easiest guitar to bend strings on. Swap the springs from the one to the other and see if that's the difference in feel.
Thanks for the way prompt response!

I'll try that with the springs... When I have the time to devote to setting up both guitars at the same time.

If that ends up being the answer, got any old, worn out springs to sell?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Vendor

I love fatigued springs, the only time I'll pull them off is when they just can't handle 9's anymore and the claw is just too close to the body.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 12:45 PM

I know they're both 570's, but check to see if they both have the same sized trem block. The longer block will feel different than the shorter ones. Also, if the saddles are generally closer to the front of the bridge rather than the back, that will change the feel too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Vendor

Good point, typically only the pre 87's will have that super long block, but after 87', while it "should" have an HS block you do find other lengths [H and S] mixed in at random.

Tags
edge trem , edge trems , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode