Questions about my MIJ RG40 set up - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Question Questions about my MIJ RG40 set up

Hi Guys,

Here's another request for help with another guitar of mine. It's an MIJ RG470. I bought it off ebay advertised as an RG570. The previous owner mistook it for an RG570 and advertised it as such. However, after I got it and cleaned it up, it was practically brand new. The frets were green with grime and the guitar was poorly set up. But I scrubbed away at everything and it came out to be a really beautiful instrument.
It's got the standard V7-S1-V8 pickup configuration and the Wizard II neck I think.
It sounds a bit different from the RG550, now I realize why people say the pickups on the RG550 sounds a bit more airy. But honestly, I like the sound of the pickups on my RG470 too. It's a bit more darker and muddier but I like it anyway.
Now my problem is when I select the bridge pickup, the sound is so weak. I have played around with the pickup height a bit. And I raised the action a bit. But the volume on the high E string is especially very low.
And as I play higher up the frets, the sound on the high E and the B strings seems to be at a volume (lower) which doesn't match the other strings. And I know I am not imagining this.
I have played around with the pickup height a bit and raised the action a bit, and that seems to make the two strings ring out more. But I think something's missing. It's still not perfect!
Would you guys please share your views and shed some light on my plight!!
And how do I fix this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Questions about my MIJ RG40 set up

Raise the pickup height on the treble side, not the action.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

I did and it doesn't seem to make any difference!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:29 PM

Reviews: 4

phase issue? could be wired wrong
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:08 AM

Take it to a tech or someone who knows what they are doing.
You'll have an answer very quickly.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 AM

Could be a bad pickup
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 PM

I agree with sebastian. Bad pickup could be a culprit. I just replaced a bad pickup on a Clapton strat for a customer. It had really low output, and the tone control didn't work for the pickup. I checked all leads for a cold solder joint. I put a new pickup in there and it was perfect.

Tags
rg470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode