Questions about swirling a JEM 7DBK - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Questions about swirling a JEM 7DBK

So I have a Jem 7 dbk (the one with the bumpy surface)... I am not a fan of the plain black surface, so I was thinking about swirling it... Here are the questions:

1)Can you swirl a guitar with a 'bumpy' surface?

2)Should I put primer coat on the bumpy finish?? or can i just swirl the paint on top of the black finish?

3)Can you clear coat the 'bumpy finish' when it is done with the swirl??

4) is primer thick?? will it make the bumpy coat more rugged??

Would I be better off buying a replacement jem body, and just swirling that?? I want to swirl it with the bumpy surface, as i think it would be unique, but I would like to know if thats possible. Thanks!

Also where could I buy a replacement jem body, if that were the case. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 PM

Re: Questions about swirling a JEM 7DBK

buy a new body, as not desirable as the DBK is, its still easier to sell without the swirl.

And the only way to do it right on that finish is to strip it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 AM

bumpy swirl sounds bad.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 AM

I'd just start over all together.
The inlays on the DBK are dull anyway.
Just leave it and build a different guitar.
Sell it if you don't like it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Reviews: 4

Hey Shon!! (it's Frank)
I think that's a neat concept for swirling on a surface like the Dbk! While I think it is obviously a lot easier to swirl on a brand new blank body, you may still have a chance with the dbk.. here is what I might do if I were you: I could maybe sand the finish to make it a little rough for the finish to properly set on the body... I'm pretty sure you would need to sand past the shiny clear-coat for the paint to "stick" properly.
Another option, if you are looking at the body mostly for a novelty-value kind of thing and don't want to risk messing up a good body, there are a few cheap Jem "kit's" out there. These are kinda low-end and not really appreciated by many here, but it could be a good alternative for your situation.

Good luck!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Hey Shon!! (it's Frank)
I think that's a neat concept for swirling on a surface like the Dbk! While I think it is obviously a lot easier to swirl on a brand new blank body, you may still have a chance with the dbk.. here is what I might do if I were you: I could maybe sand the finish to make it a little rough for the finish to properly set on the body... I'm pretty sure you would need to sand past the shiny clear-coat for the paint to "stick" properly.
Another option, if you are looking at the body mostly for a novelty-value kind of thing and don't want to risk messing up a good body, there are a few cheap Jem "kit's" out there. These are kinda low-end and not really appreciated by many here, but it could be a good alternative for your situation.

Good luck!
cheers man, I appreciate your in depth answer... I came to conclusions about my decision now, and will keep the DBK as it stands. It is a great guitar as it is, and probably isn't worth the hastle anyway. I will just keep the idea for a project in the future.

Tags
jem swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode