Radio on my amp??? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Radio on my amp???

HEy, guys. I just changed homes here in Milan and I just finished setting up my amp, pedals, guitars, etc. However, I was playing yesterday night when I noticed that I could hear the radio through my amp. Although, the volume is very low it's still annoying and I would prefer it to go away. Has this ever happened to you? I'd appreciate any ideas on how to solve it.

THX a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 11:59 AM

This used to happen to me a lot on my old transister amp, once got what sounded like a phone call.

Couldn't do a thing about it, sorry.
Scary when playing late at night, to suddenly hear someone talking.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 12:57 PM

I live about 500 feet away from some radio towers. I used to get it a lot. It must have been some problem with the towers. I'd get it in my amp, my phone, my computer speakers (even when they were unplugged!) and basicaly everything that had speakers. After a lot of complaining to the radio station, I think they fixed it because its been gone for a few years now. The worst part is that it only happened in my room, because it was the part of the house the closest to the towers.

But now that I think of it, I used to have a magnetic field in my room (I don't know what the hell created the magnetic field), maybe that was the problem. Every time I brought a CD player in my room and used it for a few weeks it would break. How annoying is that?? Anyway it dosen't happen anymore. But can you believe that my room screwed up about 3 or 4 CD players?!

Good luck to you, I don't of a good solution to your problem. Maybe put up aluminum foil on all your walls? ( ). Maybe its a sheilding problem!

What the hell do I know?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 01:28 PM

lmao. that used to happen to my friends old fender champ tube amp. The tubes were so old that we got a few cell phone calls on it. It was pretty sweet actually
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 01:18 AM

ZERO, this happens more when you use fx loop. There's a way to put a capacitor filter before your cable plug that kills these frequencies. But can kill some harmonics too.

Have you ever heard abour Michael Faraday ?????

He's the discoverer of electro-magnetic induction, electro-magnetic rotations, the magneto-optical effect, diamagnetism, field theory and much else besides these magnetics things.

He made a apparell that can bypass these electro magnetics effects. Its like a jail that out of the structure, so the magnetic field take a run out of the structure, on his margin like rounding. Radio stations use it to cut interferences on the building and studios, so the mics can "talk" crystal clear on the radio studio near the antennas. Otherwise, you can hear the signal like in your amp.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Is that like a mod I need to do to my amp or like a pedal that I can buy and plug my guitar into before the amp???
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 03:11 PM

a guitar is in fact a radio-receiver (remember Leo Fender's original job )
The pu is the antenna. If there is a strong electro-magnetical signal (radio signal) at the 'right' (wrong ) frequency, the resonance frequency of the electrical circuit of pu and knobs and so on, your radio acts like a receiver.

You will notice that the other pickup combinations won't catch the signal.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 10:46 AM

lol... never happened to me. didn't ever even think of it and there seem to be thousands of peeps having this problem... lol.

i'd have advised you to use different pickup combinations or guitars, too. to figure out where it's coming from
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I don't know if everyone here got it wrong but I decided to move my amp to a different position in my bedroom (since we just moved in) and the sound almost disappeared. I'm saying that you guys seem to have got it wrong (or at least have a different problem) because I can listen to it also when my guitar is not plugged in and even when the jack is not plugged in. No pick-up involved then. Weird .

Anyway I'm happy now because the sound is REALLY faint and I can hardly hear it when I am not playing. Maybe it could do with the fact that the amp is now more far away friom the window.

Anyway thx for the replies.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 05:45 AM

Do you have a cordless Phone in your house???? I usecd to put my amp farily close to it and got the stupid radio signals, It got especially bad with a Wah. But I moved my amp as far away as possible and it has gone.

Freak
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 07:10 AM

My Dad is a radio ham, so when he transmits, the sound comes through the whole effects chain, and through my Marshall. Usually I'll shout downstairs to tell him that "God is talking to me again!".

Try spinning your amp around, as the signal might die away if it's directional. That's what I do to kill off his transmissions, and his antennae is about 150feet away, putting around 70 watts into the atmosphere!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 10:04 AM

lol I had the same problem. I was practicing alone in my house one day. I left the amp on to go in the other room for something and suddenly I heard voices come from where I had just left. Turns out it was a police radio transmitting through my amp!

What I did was went out and bought new cables. Monster Rock 500 instrument cables. Haven't had the police or radio invade my amp since.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 04:14 PM

Superior shieding will help but not for everything. Make sure you house is grounded properly as well it may require you to have a good electrician take a look at that as well. Anyways I had a similar thing happen with a remote control in my parents house. Everytime you hit the channel button *and only the channel button* it would beep into the am. The dang remote doesnt even beep

Tags
fender champ , leo fender , pickup combination , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode