Re-contouring neck options?!? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Re-contouring neck options?!?

Hello!! I have picked up and modified a korean PRS tremonti with EMG's, graphite nut and spertzels. So far so good! I love the combination of an all mahogany guitar with wrap around bridge and EMG's. it just gives me a different sound that i like. HOWEVER!!!! The neck annoys me and i picked the guitar up pretty cheaply second hand so I'm not too afraid of experimenting on it. As you can guess from the title i pretty much want to re contour the neck, i.e. make it thinner and a flatter C shape. However i have some concerns i would like to ask the general populous of the generous and knowledgeable jemsite forums!!

1. Is there much danger of going through to the truss rod?
2. Will i dangerously compromise the strength and stability of the neck by doing this?
3. If this is relatively safe and i can do it, how much sanding away of the neck do you think i could get away with it before approaching wizard thickness?
4. Once i finish, is tung oil the way to go?

Thanks for reading my query on this, its something ive really wanted to do for a long time.

Ian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 PM

Re: Re-contouring neck options?!?

Iīve heard of some people doing the same thing, you can sand the neck, just take your tima and measure an estimate of where the trussrod is so you donīt sand through.
I would not recommend trying to sand it to make it a wizard neck as its probably impossible because of the trussrod
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 11:10 PM

You can definitely shave down the neck and recontour it any way you want. Just don't get down to wizard thinness and you'll be fine. I've reshaped a good number of necks without having a single one screw up. However, if your neck is a painted neck and you want to retain the same look it's a lot of work. I generally just give my reshaped necks an oiled finish.

Be careful when using sand paper though. There's a high chance of having one area sanded more than another.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 04:11 AM

no matter what, the thinner the piece of wood, the more prone it will be to change shapes from outside influences. that being said, it still might NOT change or it could take longer to do so. sand away!

Tags
neck dimensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode