Real time guitar Tab!! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Real time guitar Tab!!

Hi all! I'm currently a Computer Engineering College student looking to develop a software that implements real time tab writing. I want guitarists to be able to play their guitar and a tab be written through a software.

Is there a current technology that already exists that I could reference? If not, does anyone have any idea how I could get started? Any equipment I would need to troubleshoot, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Also keep in mind I am pretty novice when it comes to guitar equipment, but very willing to learn. I have been playing guitar for 4 years through mostly my own teaching. Any references to articles and books would be very beneficial as well!!!!!

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:48 PM

Re: Real time guitar Tab!!

I don't know any names of programs, but I'm sure there are programs that can recognize played notes. Both single notes and chords. Displaying them on charts is no problem (just program it correctly...), making a correct - or at least sensible tabulatur is harder. The reason is, as you probably know already, that the same note can be played on several areas on the fretboard. Thus making it harder to decide where it should be played. Where it is played can often be based on technique used, chords played (if only one guitar), the surrounding notes... There are many variables. Are there too many? I don't know. You tell me!

I would be surprised if a program that was 100% correct was developed. If it also was usable in such a way that it could transcribe a guitar straight from a CD, that would be nice. Would I have any use for such a program? No, unfortunately not. I'm sure there are many who could find it useful.

Good luck! Hopefully you will get some more decent, straight to the point tips from others.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your reply. To start I want to figure out the frequency each note gives on the fret board. From that I need to convert those frequencies into the corresponding fret and string on the fret board.

I then need to take that value and have it write it in real time into tablature. It doesn't necessarily need to be 100% accurate. To get started I want to just display single notes. Then eventually into chords. From there I can implement hammer ons, pull offs, slides etc. etc. .
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 PM

Reviews: 37
Smile Re: Real time guitar Tab!!

what if the guitar is out of tune ?and make sure there is a beginning part that checks the tuning of the guitar and what tuning the guitar is in, (standard etc.)
also pay attention to bends (muting is also probably out of the question).
sounds very difficult but anything is possible these days.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

I've taken all of these concepts into consideration. For now all I want to do is get the single notes and chords written in real time. To incorporate slides, bends, hammer ons, pull offs, muting, etc, I may have to design a software to edit the real time tab to incorporate these additions. But that isn't a priority right now. I'm taking baby steps first, then I will figure a way to do this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:18 PM

Reviews: 13

Bump!

Dude, this is a great idea, and i have considered it, but my dad the programmer is just a little bit too busy to teach/help me how to do it.

Stick with this project man, i totally support the idea.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM

I'm going back a long time but in my high school music theory class we used a program called Finale that would turn whatever you played on a keyboard into sheet music
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM

Reviews: 13

I'm in a music theory class right now at my high school, and we use finale also!

Tags
tab writing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode