A recap on the Speedloader - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

A recap on the Speedloader

On the Vai forum I've had a discussion about locking trems
(http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3215 hehe)
and I was wondering about other people's experiences with that revolutionary FR bridge: the Speedloader.

It's been out there for some time now, so on a guitarist-infested forum like this I reckoned there must be some of us who use one so if you do please feel free to share your experiences if you had one installed.

Does it really stay tuned so much better? What brand of strings do you prefer? What about string breakage and and how long do they last? Do they still need to be adjusted when humidity changes etc. Did it fulfill the expectations it awoke and is it really an equal or greater invention than sliced bread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 11:46 PM

tried it for about 5 min. didnt find it really any different, and it kinda defeats the purpose of a double locking trem dont you think? i mean on a floyd or edge or whatever you break a string ,you unlock the nut pull the string through and lock it in the bridge tune up lock the nut and away you go again (that is if you leave enough string on the nut side ) . with the speedloader you cant do that .i've had people tell me it takes longer to do a string change on it as well
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 01:14 AM

Isn't "speedloader" implying that it should be easier to change strings?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 01:27 AM

thats what i thought 2. but a guy that works in one of the local guitar shops said he found it took longer to change the strings on one,but that might be just because he isnt used to it yet.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone else want to comment on the Speedloader?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 02:52 PM

I have wanted to try one since it was out but have never seen one. I would be annoyed that I would have to order strings cos no shops have them and the mailorder companies that do charge 10!! Until it becomes more cost effective and easy to obtain I think the SL will fail.

Freak
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 01:31 PM

To me its an example of over-engineering. Floyd hasn't been in the spotlight for a decade (or two) and I believe he was left alone with his thoughts for too long. Only to emerge with the "greatest tremolo ever" but with the most limitations. To me, its exactly like inventing the world's first car that drives itself, using GPS. The only problem is that in order for it to work, everyone must have one. I'm speaking of the special strings, by the way. I can't stand that part of it. You mean to tell me that if I'm out of town and need a string I'm at the mercy of the local store to carry strings for a bridge nobody has?

By the way, I saw one on a BC Rich, and it looked okay. So I'm not beefing about the design, just the audacity of someone to say I'm going to design a bridge and you string makers have to change the way you do things. And to expect a string maker to pre-bullet the ends to within a fine tuner range is crazy in my opinion. He admitted it was, and he had a miserable time getting the right string. Why not a guitar with the speedloading bridge, but some sort of pinch lock on the other side so I could use regular strings if I wanted to? Like Steinberger has their double ball ends, but some copies, including Ibanez, could lock a plain string in there if necessary.

The whole thing upsets me from the standpoint of designing something that may be the best of its kind, but tries to force the hand of the industry. I like a string with a ball end on one side and a tuning mechanism on the other. Absent the ball, I like a locking trem.

Here's a good idea, make the speedloader to accept a bullet on the trem side, but on the neck side, just pull the string through finger tight, lock it, and snap the bridge saddle back. Rig it so that normal finger tension is enough to bring the string into tuning range when snapped back. Now everyone's happy. Even a speedloader bridge with locking tuners for speed would be fine too. Then you could just put the bullet in, lock the tuner, and go.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 04:00 PM

Reviews: 34
Let me say first that I have never tried one of these speedloader things.

I think I understand from frankfalbo that Floyd himself designed this system. There are some significant drawbacks it appears, but you have to give the guy credit.

His original (and subsequently updated) designs have given us the most amazing guitar bridge, and I think Wayne Charvel himself has gone on record as saying that the floyd rose is one of the most significant innovations for the guitar. The only better thing to happen to the guitar in my opinoin is Steve Vai.

I am afraid that I fall into the camp of those that have no idea how to quick change/setup/maintain any of the numerous floyds in my collection.

Saying that I love floyds and have recenly been converted over to using Schaller built models. Even the custom Jem I am currently working on is no longer an Edge derivative. In fact the Schaller was the first thing I bought.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 11:46 AM

I've lost all interest in floyds and other trems at the moment, so the speedloader pretty much has no chance with me .
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:38 PM

I haven't tried it but Ive read some prettty bad things about it. The Downward angle on the strings from the tuning keys and the bridge is gone so the tone and sustain is really bad.

Or so Ive heard.

Tags
custom jem , floyd rose , guitar shop , local guitar shop , locking trems , locking tuners , steve vai , string breakage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

which is better speedloader, lo pro

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode