Red bishop - magik arm for trem - Page 3 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 05:41 PM

ZR bushing... didn't know that was a "style" of bushing. It's been a loonnnnggg time since I've had scallops. Gotta do that soon. 🤤
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 05:47 PM
Vendor

Re: Red bishop - magik arm for trem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
Honestly I think gotohs arm holder like their floyd or the new bridges on the AZ guitars are the best. With the screw in arm and bushing that adjusts the tension with a set screw. I wish they made a version that fit the edge. I'd get that for my lo-pro instead of this. That's one feature I love most about my gotoh trem.
The AZ holder uses the same ZR bushing I showed above, and basically the same torque cap with a more expensive part number, and the bar is $10 more.
Rich is online  
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 05:51 PM
Vendor

BTW I don't think you're seeing a "wear" mark on the bar as much as it's dulling the polish, or if plated yes it's wearing the finish. You all know you can polish cosmo off easily, gold even easier.
Rich is online  
post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 05:53 PM

Ahhhh okay I thought those had the arm holder like this. My mistake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210213-165125_Edge_1613253114232.jpg (479.3 KB, 31 views)
aesthyrian likes this.
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Don’t laugh, but one of the best parts of the Edge’s design is that you don’t have the hideous screw collar sticking out of the bridge.

I’m happy to replace bushings to have the trem look clean.
peromucho7 likes this.
jono is online  
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 05:58 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
Ahhhh okay I thought those had the arm holder like this. My mistake.
https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pcw.ns...trMode=newpage

Loon through the parts.
Rich is online  
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 06:01 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Donít laugh, but one of the best parts of the Edgeís design is that you donít have the hideous screw collar sticking out of the bridge.

Iím happy to replace bushings to have the trem look clean.
After 10 years I'm so used to seeing torque caps on Ibanez trems but on the golden oldies, it does make it look odd, different. That's not good or bad, it's just, different. When you're used to seeing it original for 35 years any change, like taking away the Patent line out of the mold, makes it look just a little, off.
jono and aesthyrian like this.
Rich is online  
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 06:18 PM

I agree with the looks. When I got my first edge equipted guitar I loved the look over a schaller floyd. I had gotten this red bishop back when I couldn't find a bar to properly fit this edge with it's older style holder. It didn't come with the bar... The new bar(s) seemed to just eat the finish off the bar quickly where it exits the holder. And you could feel it grind depending on the position of the bar. So gave this a try. Rich had mentioned to me in another thread I could have just bought a new holder from him... Lol. I was new to the forums and to his services back then... And the only holders I saw were on eBay for $70ish. I should have asked in a more descriptive way. I made a thread called "differences in ibanez trem bars over the years" because I thought I needed an older bar or something.
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 06:33 PM
Vendor

You did need an older bar. In fact when they changed the holder to flush they kept the original bushing spacing, so LNG's and early 87' bars will have the wider bushing spacing of the older bars. The problem was they would break off at the top bushing because it was too close to the top edge of the holder.
aesthyrian likes this.
Rich is online  
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

By the way, in the website is says this:

〈Maintenance〉

For smooth arm bar rotation, we recommend to put CRC oil on the part of picture below at regular intervals.

------------

Can anyone tell me what CRC oil exactly is? I have a very light synthetic oil that I use for the springs and valves of my french horn. This one:

https://www.hidalgoelectronica.com/w...ds/1199016.jpg

Could I use it for this purpose? And how often should I do it?
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 06:44 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You did need an older bar. In fact when they changed the holder to flush they kept the original bushing spacing, so LNG's and early 87' bars will have the wider bushing spacing of the older bars. The problem was they would break off at the top bushing because it was too close to the top edge of the holder.
Point of fact, they may have actually been the older bars, I never compared the shaft length against a modern bar.

If anybody has an early 87' JEM bar you know is original, with the wider bushing spacing, could you compare the length of the shaft to the bend to see if it's longer or if it's just the previous version bar?

The older tubes are 2mm longer, hence the wider bushing spacing.
Rich is online  
post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 06:47 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrad View Post
By the way, in the website is says this:

〈Maintenance〉

For smooth arm bar rotation, we recommend to put CRC oil on the part of picture below at regular intervals.

------------

Can anyone tell me what CRC oil exactly is? I have a very light synthetic oil that I use for the springs and valves of my french horn. This one:

https://www.hidalgoelectronica.com/w...ds/1199016.jpg

Could I use it for this purpose? And how often should I do it?
I would venture to guess the oil is to help premature wear to the bushing itself, as well as allow it to rotate more easily under torque.

CRC is just a brand, it doesn't say what type oil and they make several.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-26...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-General-P...24671169&psc=1

Unless we're in an entirely different subject

What is CRC oil?
It is a potent form of cannabis concentrate that comes in various consistencies, including budder, shatter, wax and more. The name comes from the solvent used to extract the oils from cannabis – butane.
aesthyrian likes this.
Rich is online  
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I would venture to guess the oil is to help premature wear to the bushing itself, as well as allow it to rotate more easily under torque.

CRC is just a brand, it doesn't say what type oil and they make several.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-26...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-General-P...24671169&psc=1

Unless we're in an entirely different subject

What is CRC oil?
It is a potent form of cannabis concentrate that comes in various consistencies, including budder, shatter, wax and more. The name comes from the solvent used to extract the oils from cannabis Ė butane.
ahah Thanks Rich. I guess I'll email them to see which type of oil they mean.
post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 07:00 PM
Vendor

This isn't heavy machinery but even 10-40 would still probably work. Any light machine oil would be my bet, which would probably include your valve oil.
Rich is online  
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 07:01 PM

Haha well damn maybe the trem arm needs a little hash to stay "lubed" 🤔
aesthyrian likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode