Refinished 01 RG570 - My Latest Project - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Refinished 01 RG570 - My Latest Project

Been a while since I hopped onto the forums, I thought I would share with you my latest modded Ibanez. I took a 2001 RG570 in root beer finish and stripped her down to bare wood. I decided to give some definition by spot burning the guitar with a benzo torch before applying stain. I went for a dark walnut stain on top, taped a line on the sides to leave natural to give a faux binding finish look, and stained the rest of the sides and back with a cherry oak stain. Finished product came out real nice although the pictures are in gif format so some quality is lost for viewing. The only thing I would do different is not allow my friend to apply the Ibanez logo on the headstock slightly higher than stock position (it's grown on me though, I am over it)

Electronics wise I went for a Crunch Lab bridge, True Velvet middle, and Fred in the neck position, very happy with the selection and tone capability of this guitar. My last desire for it will be to mod the edge to have piezo pick up's installed for that definitive sound.

Let me know what you guys think, currently I am starting a build from the ground up to do an 8 string guitar with some burl wood finishing.. really looking forward to this project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RG570 Front Gif.jpg (9.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg RG570 Back Gif.jpg (8.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg RG570 Head Stock Gif.jpg (7.6 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 PM

Re: Refinished 01 RG570 - My Latest Project

I love it. I 'm a sucker for a natural looking finish. The headstock logo position is not a biggie, I wouldn't have noticed it. great job!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:23 PM

Reviews: 10

wow, that looks cool...I love natural looking finish too...and I wouldn't have noticed the headstock either...it is one of a kind - very nice job!!!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Reviews: 2

LOOKS GREAT MAN!!!

It seems that none of keep the root beer finish on these.........lol

Here's my '01 570 RM:

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, and I dig your 570 too. I considered doing the grip but chose to stick with keeping it solid. My fiance hated me for ditching the root beer.. but I told her I can't do paints.. I am a grain guy. Here is another I did prior, S520ex I rescued, prior owner beat the hell out of it, so no hurt feelings sanding it down the black. Put a crunch lab and liqui in that one.. that was my first experience with the CL, awesome tone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s520ex.jpg (11.3 KB, 1 views)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM

looks great, reminds me of a Leopard,
funny cute and edgy at the same time.

Tags
crunch lab , fred , mod , refinish , true velvet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode