Remove broken trem stud... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Remove broken trem stud...

I just picked up a 2000 520QS that has a broken trem stud that I need to replace, as half of the top of the stud is broken off. My original thought was to just remove the Edge and unscrew the stud by hand but found that this is not possible. It is a locking stud that has a seized lock screw (locked) that I absolutely can not get to loosen up with just the allen wrench, so the stud is not coming out.

I have heard that this has been fairly common but have never had to deal with it personally. My plan is just to use a screw extractor (e-z out) but thought that I would ask if you guys have any other ideas that will work as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 AM

Re: Remove broken trem stud...

WD40 and needlenose pliers maybe, just be sure what ever you do, cover the painted are with cloth to avoid scratches and gouges..
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 AM

(copy/paste from the other section):

these cases, i usually cut a slot with a Dremel right onto the head of the stud. that way, i can use a screwdriver to unscrew the stud.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys.

Nuno, what kind of dremel cutter do you use to slot the stud?

I did a search and found 1 post that addressed this issue and that person forced a screw into the top and was able to get it to move that way. That kind of reinforced my extractor idea.

I figured that in the worst case, I could try to remove the entire stud/bushing combo if I could get a good hold on it with pliers. Only half of the top remains though, so there is not much to grab. I am scared that the rest of it may just break off if I try this...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:21 AM

Try this, it worked for him:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/trmanchor.htm

Dimebag 4ever
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Grab hold of what remains with some Vise grips, and back out the stud. The lock screw will not affect backing out the stud.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfields View Post
Nuno, what kind of dremel cutter do you use to slot the stud?
the one attached to the Dremel pictured here, don't know how it's called:

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM

I just bought a used jem and one of the posts was frozen in place.I tried an allen wrench and the thin walled area snapped off.A vise grips wouldn't work .I then took a dremel and put 2 cutoff disk and routed a slot.Used a screwdriver and the rest of the thin area snapped further.I was getting bummed.Next I took some liquid wrench, sprayed it into a small bottle cap and dripped it into and around the post.I let it sit for a bit, routed a deeper slot with the dremel and for good measure heated the trem post with a soldering iron for a few minutes.It still took all I had to get it loose.But it worked.Liquid wrench is not very paint friendly but I cleaned off immediately after pouring.I was a little afraid heating the post would transfer the heat into the surrounding wood and weaken it.I was desperate so did these things anyway.Upon removal, the stud wasn't corroded at all.A new one screwed right in no problem.Strangely enough I was able to loosen the stud lock screw even though the post was frozen.I was rewarded with an excellent sounding and playing ebony boarded 7vwh in the end.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:05 PM

I used 2 cut off disks at the same time to route a slot wide enough for a big screwdriver.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Musicdr, that sounds like the exact situation that I am facing. As an experiment, I tightened the lock screw on the good post and then could not get that one to budge either. You would think that locking it would allow one to still back the stud out, only preventing lowering of the post, but that is not the case with this guitar.

I think that it will be fairly easy to use the screw extractor on it, being that it already has a pilot hole in the stud. Hopefully it will come out without too much trouble. Just have to wait for my parts from Rich to get here.

Last edited by rfields; 01-11-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling fix
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 PM

I only used the dremel because I couldn't find my screw extractors and am impatient.Hope it all works out.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicdr View Post
I just bought a used jem and one of the posts was frozen in place.I tried an allen wrench and the thin walled area snapped off.
Did you try unlocking the stud first?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:18 AM

The stud lock screw was unlocked.Strangest thing I ever encountered.I fully expected to find locktite on the threads or some bad corrosion but there was none? When I put the new stud in, it screwed in by hand easily and adjusted fine.The threads must be okay.Another odd thing on this guitar was someone replaced the trem arm holder for the allparts floyd screw in type, but screwed the threaded part to the underside of the trem and then cut off an ibby trem bar to fit in there.Strange stuff! Fortunately I had a trashed gold lopro around for parts.This is the 7th vwh jem I have owned in the last 10yrs.It is the best sounding one by far.The body has yellowed a bit but the headstock is still white.Maybe an 01 neck on an older body.Either way despite the oddness of some of the issues, its plays and sounds excellent now.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:15 AM

I had an older PGM that did that (aged body, white headstock). I was told it was because Ibanez was making the move toward UV blocked clear, and not everything was painted at the same time.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 AM

Could be.I kind of like the vintagey look of it.Normally I would put new screws on the pickguard and pickups etc.But other than deglossing the neck I'll leave it as is to keep the mojo.

Tags
edge , stud , tremelo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode